Discuss Corrosion proof flush mount back boxes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
After many years of replacing corroded metal back boxes on older buildings here is a solution that really should make its way to the uk:

box lid Picture - More Detailed Picture about type 86,single gang wall mount junction box, outlet wall switch box,enclosure,flush box, plastic back box for mansory wall Picture in Electronic & Instrument Enclosures from TaiZhou Trade co., LTD. | Alie

This is, I think, for USA and Australian wiring accessories so probably has imperial threads and perhaps different lug spacing.

Any thoughts? I don't see any valid reason for having to stick with conductive back boxes when flush mounting wiring accessories. Surface mounted are non-conductive in the main so why use conductive if the accessory is flush mounted?

So many times I have replaced corroded metal boxes. Usually the socket is hanging out of the wall on its wires and sometimes conductors have come loose. Customers have said to me, "Oh, it's been like it for ages". Ring continuity has failed long ago leaving two radial circuits on a 32 Amp breaker. Hmmm. Fun.

We have used metal boxes since early days and it seems little more than tradition to be still using inferior materials in an age of composite and polymer technology.

Oh, just to really open the wormery: New consumer units are to be made of metal now. Hmm? And just how long do they last in some damp shed on a farm somewhere exactly?

Just a thought.

Cheers all.
Dave.
32294324890.html

This is, I think, for USA and Australian wiring accessories so probably has imperial threads and perhaps different lug spacing.

Extremely unlikely that something intended for use with Australian accessories would have imperial threads. Also, it was my understanding that they do not use backboxes.

Can't see why we don't have plastic KO boxes except were we are using conduit as the earthing system. get them invented and make a million :) after all we use plastic dry lining boxes and plastic dado trunking boxes

On the rewire im on at the mo its stone walls which are damp so to eliminate this problem of corrosion we have used plastic conduit boxes walls are chased and cables installed into conex flexible plastic conduit works a treat

Oh, just to really open the wormery: New consumer units are to be made of metal now. Hmm? And just how long do they last in some damp shed on a farm somewhere exactly?

Cheers all.
Dave.
32294324890.html

Would that be a Domestic Farm?

I'm almost certain that many years ago plastic back boxes were available.

Reply to Corrosion proof flush mount back boxes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net