Discuss Current measure with multimeter (help) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I will remove the L1 phase from the motor and connect it to the Black probe, then I will hold the red probe to the U1 input on the motor. Do I understand correctly?
I wouldn't do this test by just holding the probes onto the terminal and wire, you need to figure out a way to make the probe connections more permanent and less prone to moving around or slipping.
I'd advise against doing the test this way although it's not inherently a 'bad' test there's several ways it could go pear shaped for someone that's not experienced.

Although @brianmoooore 's advice is very good and useful, I have to side with @Avo Mk8 & @James that as soon as you have to do anything fancy to safely use a multimeter, you are better to simply use a clamp ammeter.
Of course a clamp meter is far preferable, but my post was to illustrate that there's more than one way of killing a cat, so to speak.
Both my methods avoid the problem of switching heavy currents with meter probes.

Reply to Current measure with multimeter (help) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

When I use Fluke multimeter clamp-type [true RMS meter] to measure AC current in a 3.5C XLPE cable, does it give the value of leakage current or...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to install a new bathroom extractor fan in my bathroom as I have a windowless bathroom and the current one I have installed in...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, friends. How can we understand whether the windings of the transformers we use in spot welding applications are intact? The...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a hypothetical question (I'm an electrical engineer) to better understand RCBOs and how they are used in the USA. Let's say I would...
Replies
Views
I am currently looking to add 12v led cob strip lights to my mother's kitchen but confused what I need. There are currently mains wires under the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock