Diy

Discuss Diy in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Its all screwed up yes, but this company is doing its best to survive, just like we are trying to survive against an over populated trade because of the 5 week wonders and such like! The people who work there have depts, morgages etc. Its a dog eat dog world out there...

What are depts, is it a new piece of electrical equipment?

It is a dog eat dog world, to right and not going there to get any gear will eat them all up

Depts = departments.

Obviously they need to do their bit to stay afloat and it can't be easy for them, but they need to attract regular customers, not just expect electricians to support them.
Things like a free drinks machine, friendly, efficient staff, a 'can do' attitude, calibration days with free bacon butties, and of course a wide variety of stock at reasonable prices will make electricians want to go there, while actively encouraging DIYers, long queues, surly staff who haven't got a clue what they're selling, prices made up on the spot, and limited stock availability would make me want to go somewhere else, in fact the only reason I use S*ittys is they're open on Saturdays and Screwf*x is on the other side of town.

boys boys boys...
leave em to it....
when Mr. & Mrs. Plank go and get their stuff from there....then fart about at home trying to work out how it all fits together (flatpack furniture anyone?)...thats when the phone rings....
could be a useful way in....

In my previous post I said I hate S*itty's and won't go there if I can help it, but I suppose they have the right idea - they look after their big customers. I haven't 'boycotted' them, I just prefer to use other distributors, and even if I did, what do they care if I don't shop there for a few bits and pieces now and again when they've got the big boys fitting out big office blocks with their kit? For the £100 I'm going to spend in there every couple of months for all they care I might as well stand at the counter dealing with the div kid and suffering the smell of farts while they're out the back serving tea and biscuits to the big boys spending £100,000 on every contract every few months.

I suppose for us 'little guys' as far as the distributors are concerned we offer them similar business to the DIYers. It would be nice to have some middle ground where small time sparks can go in and get served quickly and efficiently but I don't know if this would be financially viable on their part. I have my local favourites.

I work in Electrical wholesale. Of course Wholesalers have to supply the general Public, and I don't think I have ever sold joe Public say a consumer unit or the like.
They will come in and buy a socket or two and other small bits n' pieces and all these little items add up to create a days takings.
Whilst the likes of B&Q and other Idiots are able to sell consumer units etc, Wholesalers have to serve the Public.
I have a small selection of my trade customers business cards on my desk, and If I think they need an Electician will guide them to one of these...Sometimes they just come in and ask if I know any good electricians in the area, but most just buy harmless bits n' bobs.

Another amusing scenario is when little old ladies/Men walk through our doors, collect up a bit of tape, a couple of lamps and then say "Your best trade price please".
"Yes of course Sir/Madam" whilst hitting the full retail price button!

Reply to Diy in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net