Discuss Do I need a PAT test? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

irs101

Hi - I'd be really grateful for some advice.

I'm playing the piano at a friend's wedding in September, which is being held at a hotel/country club.

The venue are insisting that I get all my equipment PAT tested - a digital piano and PA system (which will both be brand new) and a sound module that works off a 9v transformer.

Never thought about it before, but are they right to insist on this? Assuming they are, whose responsibility is it - mine or their's? I always thought that PAT was for appliances at work. I won't be working as such, so presumably they're thinking they need to protect their own employees (even though they most certainly won't be using the equipment!).

For the sake of my friends sanity, I'm thinking I might just to get it done myself, if that's allowed and possible. How much could I expect to pay?

They're also muttering about me needing insurance, in case I blow up their electrical systems. I thoughts on how I'd find that?

Many thanks in advance.

Ian.

irs101,
As your equipment is new it does not need testing. However a Equipment Register will need to be produced to confirm all equipment details together with assessment of environment the items are to be used in.

Management of H&SaWR 1999 Reg 3.1 every employer shall make a suitable and sufficient assessment of:
[a] risk to employees whilst at work
the risks to the health and safety of persons not in his employment arising out of or in connection with the conduct by him or of his undertaking.

Within PUWER 1998 and EWR 1989 you will be deemed to be the Administrator of the equipment. As the Duty Holder you are expected to be able to provide an audit trail for inspection and maintenance of electrical equipment. Failure to comply may lead to the following:

Fatalities, injuries to personnel or livestock and damage to property. Successful prosecution under the Act or any health and safety statute carries a maximum penalty of a fine of £5,000 and/or up to 6 months imprisonment. For breaches under the general duties of the Health Safety at Work Act 1974, penalties of up to £20,000 were introduced in 1992. Offenses heard on indictment in the Crown Court attract unlimited financial penalties and up to 2 years imprisonment.

It is for you to decide if you want to NOT get your equipment inspected and tested.

Hope this helps explain your legal obligations.

AIM

Don't forget the recent introduction of the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Acts.

Basically, unlimited jail-sentences and unlimited fines.

Im sure if a fire killed 40 people you'd serve more than 7 years in prison.

If you'd like to see a photo of a 3 month old Dell monitor (still within warranty, look below).

Whilst Dell may replace the monitor (infact there were 3 in this office like this), I doubt they'd pay for the hotel/venue, and any lives lost...... they'd say it was your responsibility.

It won't cost you more than about £20 to get them pat tested.

If you take your equipment to a venue and its your equipment then its your responsibility. Always perform a visual inspection of any cables and plugs for damage before you plug them in and use them.

PS..Any images posted are copyright protected property of mine, please do not copy or use them elsewhere.

Attachments

• manufacturing_fault01.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond.

I don't see how I'm going to be prosecuted under corporate manslaughter or employer legislation - I'm an amateur musician and I don't employ anyone (not even myself). But I totally agree with the point you're both making - to not get it done when I've been advised to might look negligent and other bits of law would come into play so, for the cost, I might as well do it.

What I was struggling with was, will it be sufficient for me to get the test done? i.e. should the venue be getting it done (it's their 'workplace' not mine). Does the certificate cover use of equipment in any location by anyone (employee or not), or is it specific to a particular building/location? But looking around, lots of professional wedding musicians PAT test their own equipment, so I guess it's the former.

Thanks again

Ian.

Hi - I'd be really grateful for some advice.

I'm playing the piano at a friend's wedding in September, which is being held at a hotel/country club.

The venue are insisting that I get all my equipment PAT tested

As well as being a Spark, I'm also a musician and speaking from experience: If they are saying that your equipment has to be Pat tested, then regardless of the equipments age, if you don't have the docs they won't let you play.

irs101,
As your equipment is new it does not need testing.
AIM

Thats a common misconception that if its less than 12 months old it does not need testing. Well have you came across any bedside lamps made in china/taiwan e.t.c?
Everything manufactured in this world doesent come made in the u.k and up to our high safety standards!!
It still requires testing no matter how old.

Fair point about imported equipment. But new equipment is covered by Manufacturers production testing. The guidance in table 7.1 applies from time of purchase/bringing in to use. So the hotel PA would need a weekly user check then Formal visual inspection [if class I] after 12 months [24 months for class II]

You can buy an appliance with 0.75mm flex fitted with a 13 amp fuse. However table 15.6 of the COP states 1.25mm as the minimum csa for 13amp fuses [when you come to replace a defective fuse]. And table VII.I states 6 amp MAX for 0.75mm cable.

I agree about testing new equipment but this in not what the COP or other HSE documents state.

Attachments

• gs50 entertainment.pdf
    424.7 KB · Views: 46
  • hsg107 maintaining portable transportable equipment.pdf
    313.8 KB · Views: 7
  • indg247 entertainers.pdf
    207.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't "the law" that every electrical item in a place where people are paid to be there has to be PAT tested - chances are the hotel's insurers have stipulated this, for every item regardless of how long it's been out of the box.
PAT can also be required for rented properties, or where anyone is doing voluntary work.

The hotel can NOT be held accountable for equipment they do not control. The same applies for employers who have employees taking electrical equipment to work.

It is for the duty holder of the equipment [the owner in the case of third party equipment] to sort out as they will be accountable if something goes wrong.

Reply to Do I need a PAT test? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net