Discuss Do I really need the yellow book for 17th edition exam? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

In case this might help the next person looking for answers, the site with the free downloads, is not the itc but IET. To get a printable version of amendment 2, it costs a fiver. Hope to get a green book, pin this 2nd amendment to it, and then push for the exam before July...

The IET have issued a free viewable version of BS 7671 Amendment 2.
It only covers - Electric Vehicle Charging installations.
You can obtain a copy using this link:
IET Wiring Regulations updates - IET Electrical.

In case this might help the next person looking for answers, the site with the free downloads, is not the itc but IET. To get a printable version of amendment 2, it costs a fiver. Hope to get a green book, pin this 2nd amendment to it, and then push for the exam before July...

why don't you just get a Green book that is amendment 2?

Okay. I'm building a better understanding now. I thought the 2nd amendment was already being produced in the regs book, but it appears this is only a standalone document that can slot into the existing Wiring Regulations book. This actually restores some of my faith in human nature, as I thought people were being fleeced left, right and centre into buying more books that were only to become out-dated.

The exam to be taken at the moment (until July) apparently only includes amendment 1.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've never needed to own a regs book. There's usually been a chap who sat in the office, project manager or supervisor, who kindly sat on his bum and did all that sort of thing for me. This would be the same one guy who would inform me about new regs etc. If I needed to consult the regs, there was always the on-site guide. I always thought of the regs book proper as too delicate for hanging around a van, or building site.

As far as I am aware, in theory, any person can walk off the street and do the exam. No need for any electrical experience whatsoever. I assume that's why the industry views it as so important that electrician's show they have practical experience by holding an AM2 (regardless of how many actual years experience that they might have).

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think that it is possible to work for a company as an electrician with no qualifications whatsoever, and that I could work under the umbrella of the company's qualification?

There are plenty of online courses available to update to the 17th edition, but I can't see it as really necessary to pay someone to show me the ropes, not when there's a wealth of FREE info online about the regs, and how to revise for the 17th edition. I aim on immersing myself in it for a few weeks before I sit the exam.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but are you saying that you have no electrical qualifications at all apart from an open book Reg's qualification, and that you are currently employed carrying out electrical installation work for a company??

If so, the company you are working for must be stark raving mad, i hope they have plenty of insurance cover. Never heard anything like it, ...and i thought short course training and Part P providers was a problem...

I hope i've misread/misunderstood something here, i really DO...

Correct me if i'm wrong, but are you saying that you have no electrical qualifications at all apart from an open book Reg's qualification, and that you are currently employed carrying out electrical installation work for a company??

If so, the company you are working for must be stark raving mad, i hope they have plenty of insurance cover. Never heard anything like it, ...and i thought short course training and Part P providers was a problem...

I hope i've misread/misunderstood something here, i really DO...

Yes the company may be stark raving mad, but its a very common standard,it is usually called Niceic registered

Yes the company may be stark raving mad, but its a very common standard,it is usually called Niceic registered

How the hell can that company be legally trading as an electrical contractor? Nothing much surprises me these days where NICEIC is concerned or has it's fingers in the pie!! ...So much for them flying the Safety Banner!!

My old company was NICEIC member and they employed sparks of varying levels... all they are required to have is someone to oversee the work who is competent and up to date, so if the Boss stuck to all the updates then his employees need not, as long as he ensures his employees are aware of the changes in the regs then they can operate as a company although half its staff may not be up to date, this doesn't make them incompetent to do there job it just means if they ever leave then they will be well behind on the paperwork and may need to update themselves to get a new job.

If the company wants to employ people who are not fully competent and lack the skills then they can but that would not be in their interest to do so unless its a dodgy firm looking for cheap labour and no system will stop these ruthless companies from appearing....

It can be a large financial burden on a small company to keep sending its staff on update courses when all thats required is they are informed of the changes and their work is overseen to ensure they follow them... cannot see anything wrong with this myself except the costs to anyone who wants to leave as mentioned earlier.

Reply to Do I really need the yellow book for 17th edition exam? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net