Search the forum,

Discuss Do you not feel that the term Electrical Trainee is derogatory in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: Cannot get RCD test to work?

bit of a contradiction that isnt it?

I think if they know their stuff then I'm sure the 5 week course can help
But if they know nothing then I personally don't think they can learn from that course what someone doing the college course over 3/4yrs can learn, they are the ones that then go out accepting jobs when they I'm I've their heads

Re: Cannot get RCD test to work?

It is unfortunate that Electrical Trainee short course ppl are said to not have what it takes regards vs someone that studied for at least 4yrs, like I'm doing, I think some will be good but I personally think if it was a percentage, the ones that have no clue would be a much higher percentage, it's not possible to learn the 4yrs in 5 weeks, I am referring to ppl doing the course with no previous experience
That's just my opinion
sounds like that 80's game show called "you bet" hosted by mathew kelly, where the audience had to guess the percentage of a something happening

This seems to have got a bit PC - IMO it shouldn't be about protecting the feelings of someone who genuinely believed they were clever enough to cram 3 or 4 years training into a few weeks; I think a homeowner has a right to know that the person they hired believing to be an electrician, the proprietor of the company with the signwritten van out the front, obtained all their qualifications in a matter of weeks and was previously working as a bank clerk or taxi driver.

This seems to have got a bit PC - IMO it shouldn't be about protecting the feelings of someone who genuinely believed they were clever enough to cram 3 or 4 years training into a few weeks; I think a homeowner has a right to know that the person they hired believing to be an electrician, the proprietor of the company with the signwritten van out the front, obtained all their qualifications in a matter of weeks and was previously working as a bank clerk or taxi driver.
andthereby lies the answer,there should be some kind of database where joe public can check on an electrician,in the same way as you can with a doctor,hence the need for an electrical register,which brings up the debate surrounding scam membership all over again.

andthereby lies the answer,there should be some kind of database where joe public can check on an electrician,in the same way as you can with a doctor,hence the need for an electrical register,which brings up the debate surrounding scam membership all over again.
But would the register prove the competence of the electrician doing the work, or the company he's working for?

Einstein worked as a bank clerk...

I think the issue here is not what they did before but the lack of what education/experience they need to do what they propose now - 5 weeks - a joke!!!

Does the Gas Safe register prove the competency of the heating bloke who just turned up on your doorstep?
I don't know. Does it?
I think a lot of customers assume that if someone is 'allowed' to turn up on someone's doorstep to start tinkering with their gas, plumbing, electrics or whatever, that 'someone' (probably the government) had already deemed them competent to do so, in the same way if you register with a new doctor or dentist you shouldn't have to look them up on the internet to see if they're competent. The problem being you can register with a part p organisation and call yourself a fully qualified accredited domestic installer after 5 weeks training, or even just that someone else who works for the same company fulfilled the criteria of the part p organisation.

Einstein worked as a bank clerk...

I think the issue here is not what they did before but the lack of what education/experience they need to do what they propose now - 5 weeks - a joke!!!
But did working as a bank clerk mean that Einstein made a good electrician?

Adam the gas safe qualification is for the engineer not the company,each engineer must hold his own gas safe qualification,this takes us back to the argument for 1 register for all electricians instead of the mess we have now,it works for gas and would work for electrics,the only thing stopping it is the financial aspect.

Does the Gas Safe register prove the competency of the heating bloke who just turned up on your doorstep?
Trev, the gas safe system really does appear to address the fundamental issue. With gas safe not only does the business have to be registered but also every engineer who works on gas has to be registered and his registration has to be relevant for the appliance he is working on. For an engineer to get registration he/she has to pass the mandatory qualifications which have a very high pass rate (100%). e.g. If you are registered for Domestic boilers, you cannot legally work on commercial boilers. if you are registered for small piped gas you cannot work on large piped gas etc etc. There is no comparison with the electrical industry really. BTW I have just registered Plugs and Sparks with Gas safe and am currently going through my training and it really is quite refreshing. Having said all that if a gas engineer drops one, it still is down to the competence on the day but at least the rules are crystal clear. I heard on the radio someone locally being jailed for 2 months for a dodgy gas install, so I think you will find its more than a little more robust than the electrical trade. Also in my dealings with gas safe when registering they are very very professional and know their stuff. So far quite impressed

IMO it shouldn't be about protecting the feelings of someone who genuinely believed they were clever enough to cram 3 or 4 years training into a few weeks.

Perhaps not, but implicit in the Electrical Trainee term is the assumption that anyone doing the five weeks is trying to cram it all into that five weeks from the ground up, and does not have any pre-existing knowledge, experience or qualifications to bring to the show. In effect that tars everyone who takes the short course route with the same brush regardless of whether their previous existence was as a pastry chef or chief engineer at Rolls Royce.

Pastry chef, chief engineer at Rolls Royce, IT technician, brain surgeon... None of which have any previous electrical experience relevant to wiring up buildings, the difference being I would expect the pastry chef to be the one to know their place and realise they can't cut corners with their training.

Also I think the 2-3 year to 5 week comparison is flawed. those of you did CG2330 on evening college courses only did one evening a week (4 hours) and at least 6 weeks you don't go. So 46 x 0.5 days = 23 days a year (4.6 weeks). So a 2 year course would be less than 10 weeks at college. Not such a big gap now is it.

Most apprentices will be going to college 1 day plus evening per week. Or, and i don't know if this still exists ''block release'' where the apprentice will do block term's at college....

Then you will need to add into the equation the experiences being gained under the patronage and watchful eye of a qualified electrician.

So in my book there is really no comparison, considering that on completion of that 3/4/5 year apprenticeship you will,( or should be) leaving with a core Lv 3 electrical qualification AM2 and hopefully NVQ Lv 3!! Not just an add on 17th edition, PAT qualification, and a worthless Part Pee qualification.

What's more, how anyone in their right mind, can accredit the 17th and PAT qualifications as being even remotely close to being Level 3 standard, is totally beyond my understanding!! But this lunacy results in these wannabe's having two level 3 qualifications under their belt, 5 weeks after they gave up the Tesco Shelf packing job!!

Reply to Do you not feel that the term Electrical Trainee is derogatory in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock