Discuss EV Charger installed in the garage see options in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

PetesEV

DIY
Reaction score
I may have posted this before but not sure if it made it in.

I want to install an EV Charger in my garage. The panel is two stories up and the floor between the garage and the 1st floor is 8" concrete. I can use an elevator shaft which is accessible behind the panel on the 2nd floor, however, I read that high voltage wires are prohibited in the elevator shaft unless they are used for the elevator.

Note: I don't drive very much so I'm getting by with a 120-volt 15amp circuit and it works fine it's just not a dedicated circuit. So I would be fine with 20 amp 120 volts or 240 volts, 120 giving a range of 6 or 7 mph vs 240 volts at 15 mph. I don't need a 50-60 amp 6 awg circuit to supply level 2 charging but if that's the only workable option I would run it.

The alternatives
A. Access wall in the Elevator shaft and fish through 6 AWG circuits from the 2nd floor to the floor above the garage. Once in the floor drill through the floor in the garage to gain access to the circuit. Install conduit to the Wall charger endpoint. Quotes for this range between $1500-$3500. The electrician who quoted $1500 said that he has used elevator shafts for high-voltage wiring and has had an issue, other electricians said its not an option as it would violate the code.

B. Access garage ceiling. 1. 12-2 Microwave circuit 20 amp, 2, 12-2 Kitchen GFCI outlet circuit 20 amp(3 outlet 120v), 3. 12-3 40amp double pole circuit shared by dishwasher and disposal.

1. Use kitchen outlet circuit branched with a junction box to supply 20amp to a NEMA 5-20 outlet. The kitchen GFCI outlets arent used much at all so it wouldn't be a problem.
OR
2. Combine the microwave circuit with the kitchen outlet circuit, cut into both circuits and move the outlet circuit with the microwave circuit connected in a junction box. The end result would be that the microwave circuit would also feed the outlets. This would free up the outlet circuit to be a dedicated 20amp circuit either 120v (20amp single pole breaker) or 240v (20amp double pole breaker). This would feed a 5-20 or 6-20 NEMA outlet depending upon the voltage. The microwave is 950 watts and it's built-in. The downside to this is if I power too many appliances on the 3 GFCI outlets I could overload the circuit trip the breaker or worse cause a fire. We rarely use the microwave together with appliances as there are other kitchen outlets available.
OR
3. Use the 12-3 circuit in some way although this is least favorable as we use both the dishwasher regularly, the disposal not so much.

I'm interested in hearing everyone thoughts, thank you.

Reply to EV Charger installed in the garage see options in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net