Currently reading:
fire rated or not down lightd

Discuss fire rated or not down lightd in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd be willing to bet that 99% of domestic sparks don't actually know what the fire rating of a can is actually there for.

Just yesterday I was at the counter at my wholesaler and the fella to my right was ordering downlights, when the sales guy asked if he needed them to be fire rated his reply was along the lines of "err, yes, yes they do need fire rating coz they're gonna be surrounded by insulation innit"?!?!?!?

Even I couldn't let that one slide and swiftly educated him, turns out he wasn't a spark but the builder buying for the spark (so he said!), but I'd have thought as a builder he should know this like the back of his hand! Fire barrier preservation is their realm! Pft!

I'd like to think that its a far lower figure than that, perhaps 50%, but really it should be common knowledge among domestic sparks as if they believe fire rated means it stops the fitting from catching fire thats pretty scary.

Also, even among the sparks who do realise that a fire rated downlight limits the spread of fire, i wonder how many realise what that little strip around the inside rim of the downlight is for.. i.e the intumescent strip (which breaks and falls off easily)!!

It's probably around the same number of electricians who don't one that there are building regulations other than part P which they have to be aware of!

It's probably around the same number of electricians who don't one that there are building regulations other than part P which they have to be aware of!

Huh?! Other building regs?!

I thought you got Part P qualified and that's it?! No one told me nuffin' about no other ones guv?!

I shouldn't worry too much, they're only silly trivial things like structural integrity, fire safety, toxic substances, ventilation. You'll never make your £50K/year if you go worrying about that sort of nonsense.

Reply to fire rated or not down lightd in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock