Discuss Hmrc in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Never understood how or why people miss the deadline?! I'm limited now so doesn't apply to me as my accountant handles everything but when I was a sole trader my return was done within an hour on the morning of the 6th of April. I had that $hit on lockdown! Nipped it right in the bud.

I do laugh at all the tradesmen running round like headless chickens on the 31st of January! If they pulled their fingers out they wouldn't have to worry would they. I've no sympathy for them (sorry andyb, no offence mate).

Never understood how or why people miss the deadline?! I'm limited now so doesn't apply to me as my accountant handles everything but when I was a sole trader my return was done within an hour on the morning of the 6th of April. I had that $hit on lockdown! Nipped it right in the bud.

I do laugh at all the tradesmen running round like headless chickens on the 31st of January! If they pulled their fingers out they wouldn't have to worry would they. I've no sympathy for them (sorry andyb, no offence mate).

Hit, nail and head spring to mind.

HMRC should consider raising the fine to £500 IMHO

None taken, I'm not sure if I missed it. I gave my stuff to my accountant with just a couple of days to go. He was not impressed.
If he didn't get it in on time all you said is true.

Make it a thousand pounds I say. £100 for each month gone by before the deadline. That's ten individual missed opportunities to remove a finger from a brown orifice.

Maybe give a £100 credit to those who get it done before the end of May? HMRC would still be quids in!

Make it a thousand pounds I say. £100 for each month gone by before the deadline. That's ten individual missed opportunities to remove a finger from a brown orifice.

Maybe give a £100 credit to those who get it done before the end of May? HMRC would still be quids in!

How marvellous it must be, to be so perfect!
Whoopy doo for you, that you get your Tax Returns in on time.
Why penalise further, people who can't achieve your vision of perfection.

:-------::-------:

Hahahaha!

Ok screw it then, by your logic lets just give people ten years to get their tax returns done?!

As far as I'm concerned, perfection doesn't even come into this. I was no more perfect than someone who got their tax return done within a couple of months. A year though?! Well now, that's just sheer bone idleness IMHO.

I have to do my CIS returns once a month. Over the years I've not missed the 14 day deadline apart from once, and for that, I received a late filing penalty of £100. Ok I appealed and HMRC used their discretion to cancel it because of a history of good timekeeping, but my point still stands.

On a monthly basis I'm given a 14 day deadline to avoid a £100 penalty, and yet sole traders are given a ten month deadline to avoid the same thing!

Seriously, if someone misses this ten month deadline then they're an enormous jackass and they deserve everything they get!

Seriously, if someone misses this ten month deadline, they're an enormous jackass

They ought ought ought oughta be quicker than me lol

ok, so i did mine last year in january. was only in december that i found out i needed yet another code,on to of my utr, hmrc member number, password, called an activation code. this was applied for in dec. arrived 12th jan. id didn;t work. applied for another code 12th jan,. it came on 13th feb. so return was 2 weeks late through the fault of hmrc. guess what? a £100 fine.

ok, so i did mine last year in january. was only in december that i found out i needed yet another code,on to of my utr, hmrc member number, password, called an activation code. this was applied for in dec. arrived 12th jan. id didn;t work. applied for another code 12th jan,. it came on 13th feb. so return was 2 weeks late through the fault of hmrc. guess what? a £100 fine.

Shoulda done it sooner. No sympathy from me I'm afraid. Sorry bud :D

The last tax year ended on the 5th April 2014, the deadline for submission of your tax return is the 31st January 2015 - so thats 306 days later.

Just remind me what you were doing for the 305 days when you couldn't do it??

Last edited by a moderator:
The last tax year ended on the 5th April 2014, the deadline for submission of your tax return is the 31st January 2015 - so thats 306 days later.

Just remind me what you were dong for the 305 days when you couldn't do it??

Sitting with his finger somewhere it definitely shouldn't be!

In fact, over 305 days, that's not just one finger where it shouldn't be, it's a head and both fists! :D

when I was a sole trader my return was done within an hour on the morning of the 6th of April.

That's impressive, all your invoices up to 5th April issued, all monies owed in, all bills (wholesalers, bank, utilitys, etc etc) received & paid.

I don't think that's possible.

Hahahaha!

Ok screw it then, by your logic lets just give people ten years to get their tax returns done?!

He never said that, you're being daft.

I have to do my CIS returns once a month. Over the years I've not missed the 14 day deadline apart from once, and for that, I received a late filing penalty of £100. Ok I appealed and HMRC used their discretion to cancel it because of a history of good timekeeping, but my point still stands.

You're quite a guy. Well I do my cis once a month, my vat once a quarter, my company returns all on time for more years than I care to remember. Maybe miss my return deadline once for a reason that you do not know and you feel qualified to call me an 'enormous jackass'
Says more about you than my paper work ability.

That's impressive, all your invoices up to 5th April issued, all monies owed in, all bills (wholesalers, bank, utilitys, etc etc) received & paid.

Why does that lot all have to be done? Sure all invoices done, all suppliers invoices in, but getting money in?

My accountant asks for a listing of all unpaid customer invoices as of the 31st March and the same for all supplier bills received but not yet paid as of the 31st March

I can do both of these via a report on my software.

Easy peasy!

I don't think that's possible.

Of course it's not, that's why money that comes in after April the 6th goes in next year's return. Not that hard to grasp?

He never said that, you're being daft.

I know I am

You're quite a guy. Well I do my cis once a month, my vat once a quarter, my company returns all on time for more years than I care to remember. Maybe miss my return deadline once for a reason that you do not know and you feel qualified to call me an 'enormous jackass'
Says more about you than my paper work ability.

What was your reason? If I'm honest, in my opinion, unless you were in a coma for ten months, you don't have one in my eyes.

You're taking this way too seriously fella! I'm not here to show off and I hope my posts have come across as a just a little light hearted ribbing. I mean no offence. My point is only that if someone hasn't got their return done in ten months then they really need lessons in organisational skills! I'm not calling you a jackass, I'm not pointing my finger at you.

There has to be a deadline, so if you're gonna moan about the ten month one then what? You want extending? Ten months not long enough? Would twelve be better? 18? Two years? Five? A hundred?

Take a chill pill man. Admit you're a bit of a pillock for leaving it so long and crack on with the next tax year.

Sorry if I've offended you, again, it wasn't intended.

I noticed this proposal about late penalties,it may be changing

Hundreds of thousands of people will no longer be hit with £100 fines for failing to complete their income tax returns on time, under radical government plans.

HM Revenue & Customs has admitted that its penalties regime may be too rigid, and is drawing up proposals to end fines for taxpayers who miss the deadline “by a day or two”.

New rules outlined for public consultation could see people who owe the government tax charged higher interest
link3.gif
rates on their debts to encourage them to pay sooner, instead of being hit with automatic fines.

A system of penalty points – similar to motoring offences - could also be introduced so that financial sanctions apply only to people who persistently fail to pay their tax bills.

I noticed this proposal about late penalties,it may be changing

Hundreds of thousands of people will no longer be hit with £100 fines for failing to complete their income tax returns on time, under radical government plans.

HM Revenue & Customs has admitted that its penalties regime may be too rigid, and is drawing up proposals to end fines for taxpayers who miss the deadline “by a day or two”.

New rules outlined for public consultation could see people who owe the government tax charged higher interest
link3.gif
rates on their debts to encourage them to pay sooner, instead of being hit with automatic fines.

A system of penalty points – similar to motoring offences - could also be introduced so that financial sanctions apply only to people who persistently fail to pay their tax bills.

They should increase the fines to £500 for late submission.

Got no time for people that have 1o months to colate the information then don't do it on time!

Reply to Hmrc in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net