Currently reading:
UK Housebashing wiring helped

Discuss Housebashing wiring helped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shpark

-
Reaction score
Hi all, not a housebasher here, so don’t hate. Wiring my house and need advice. Want to mount the CCU just below the ceiling and bring the cables from the floor above. How do a nicely bring the cable off of the beam so they’re on the wall and then will go into the back of the fuse board? Pics attached

Hi all, not a housebasher here, so don’t hate. Wiring my house and need advice. Want to mount the CCU just below the ceiling and bring the cables from the floor above. How do a nicely bring the cable off of the beam so they’re on the wall and then will go into the back of the fuse board? Pics attached

Fix the CU to the ceiling that way you can drop straight into the board without having to worry about the joist or go down the wall?

Fix the CU to the ceiling that way you can drop straight into the board without having to worry about the joist or go down the wall?

And no need to go to the trouble of opening the cover for access.

I have seen plenty of DBs placed on ceiling of cabins, but those were always insulated enclosures with catches on their covers. Can't think of many of the current crop of domestic DBs that have a suitable catch on their covers.

And no need to go to the trouble of opening the cover for access.

I have seen plenty of DBs placed on ceiling of cabins, but those were always insulated enclosures with catches on their covers. Can't think of many of the current crop of domestic DBs that have a suitable catch on their covers.
I would actually even contemplate drilling a hole or two in the cover to use as somewhere to hang coats on hangers maybes?

Plastic non-conductive hangers that is of course.

I haven’t contemplated this a great deal since asking as been been busy with work, but up to now I have thought to do as per the pic. Bring cables off joist onto brick. Into safe zone at top of ceiling height and onto adjacent wall, down and into CU. The reason I’m mounting on this wall is due to space and aesthetic, but more so that the meter tails pass through direct behind wall to meter in box outside. Also the box will be lower down now.

Attachments

• A0F4D0B3-DB03-4AA6-8FC3-D9CFFB263512.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 38
Although you don't have to install to the heights stipulated in part m your work shouldn't make it any worse. It appears like it would be much easier to put it lower and run 50 x 100 trunking, depending on the room either chase the wall so you're behind the joist or use an internal 90 to run a small bit on the ceiling.

Dusty might sell you some black and red if you're not part p...

I’m still using DB…
Maybe the guys I was an apprentice to had it all wrong.

They told me a CU … consumer unit… was domestic. Where there is a consumer, that lives in the house.

A DB distribution board was used industrial or non-domestic situation where there was a main board which then distributed out to other sub mains within a large installation. Could be 3P or 1P.

If my customer is past pension age, I still ask “where’s the fusebox?” Because that’s what they’ve always known it as.

Although you don't have to install to the heights stipulated in part m your work shouldn't make it any worse. It appears like it would be much easier to put it lower and run 50 x 100 trunking, depending on the room either chase the wall so you're behind the joist or use an internal 90 to run a small bit on the ceiling.
If you can put cables (and tails as needed) in some trunking it would make any future changes / additions / repairs far easier, also less chance of any accidents if trunking is somehow visible but "aesthetically acceptable".

Maybe the guys I was an apprentice to had it all wrong.

They told me a CU … consumer unit… was domestic. Where there is a consumer, that lives in the house.

A DB distribution board was used industrial or non-domestic situation where there was a main board which then distributed out to other sub mains within a large installation. Could be 3P or 1P.

If my customer is past pension age, I still ask “where’s the fusebox?” Because that’s what they’ve always known it as.
Distribution board (DB) is a generic term for all of these. A consumer unit is a particular type of DB intended for use by ordinary persons (DBO), which is type tested and single phase with a double pole main switch. As such it is not incorrect to refer to a CU as a DB, although not all DBs are CUs.

EDIT: Much as @pc1966 has stated.

Reply to Housebashing wiring helped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back