Discuss Cable Clipped above steel beams on to a Plaster board ceiling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi There

Just a quick one, I'm wondering what's everyone's thoughts on this are.

A subby has clipped a cable to a plaster board ceiling using 3m sticky pads and plastic cable ties, below that ceiling is a number of steel beams spanning the length of the corridor and then below them is a suspended ceiling,
we have had the client come back saying this is not compliant, I understand the spark should of used fire rated fixings such as bandit wire or even put a basket up to secure cabling but is it stated anywhere a certain distance apart fire rated fixings should be or is there anything in the regs book regarding fire rating fixings above beams? my thought process is if there is a fire that the cable will drop on to the beams.

Any help appreciated

Thanks Dan

Although this is the sort of thing you see above suspended ceilings often (And a lot worse)

for a new installation I would say it is unacceptable

wiring systems should be installed to prevent premature collapse in the event of a fire.
and let’s face it, in a year or 2 the sticky pads will have come away without the need for a fire!
can’t remember the reg no. But you have also got the general reg that wiring should be specified and installed in a manner that is suitable for the environment.
I would say sticky pads and ties are suitable for flat horizontal fixtures when the cable is pressing down on a surface or a vertical run providing there is decent support at the top.
but under a ceiling not in my book.

Although this is the sort of thing you see above suspended ceilings often (And a lot worse)

for a new installation I would say it is unacceptable

wiring systems should be installed to prevent premature collapse in the event of a fire.
and let’s face it, in a year or 2 the sticky pads will have come away without the need for a fire!
can’t remember the reg no. But you have also got the general reg that wiring should be specified and installed in a manner that is suitable for the environment.
I would say sticky pads and ties are suitable for flat horizontal fixtures when the cable is pressing down on a surface or a vertical run providing there is decent support at the top.
but under a ceiling not in my book.
appreciate the response! my worry was the sticky pads because we all know what there like, new install too so a conversation is needed

I think the reasoning here is that if they were to prematurely collapse.... they would fall onto the beams, but no further. They would not fall as far as the suspended ceiling.
That is, if the beams traverse the run of cabling, and not parallel to it.

Is it possible to fix them up better? Sticky pads aren't the best unless onto a purely flat surface... (have used them under kitchen units before) but they wont last on plasterboard.

If you have an otherwise good relationship with the customer, go ahead and get it changed, and have a word with the subby.

The idea of the premature collapse reg is among other things to stop people becoming entangled and trapped.
we are not the people to be deciding if collapse onto “this” is ok but onto “that“ is not ok.
to keep it simple, we should all be using best endeavours to prevent cables falling early in a building fire.
sticky pads are not the right thing for the job.

It isn't just about premature collapse that is more dealing with the method of support. Ignoring this, cables should be correctly supported to maintain the integrity of the circuit and the cable performance for the length of time the cable is installed.

Reply to Cable Clipped above steel beams on to a Plaster board ceiling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net