Currently reading:
UK Housebashing wiring helped

Discuss Housebashing wiring helped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shpark

-
Reaction score
Hi all, not a housebasher here, so don’t hate. Wiring my house and need advice. Want to mount the CCU just below the ceiling and bring the cables from the floor above. How do a nicely bring the cable off of the beam so they’re on the wall and then will go into the back of the fuse board? Pics attached

In rural Europe thee phase in Domestic properties is not unusual and they call the container box by every conceivable variation, even in the regulations they confuse the issue, but for all intents and purposes does it matter, we all know what we mean. 😇

Distribution board (DB) is a generic term for all of these. A consumer unit is a particular type of DB intended for use by ordinary persons (DBO), which is type tested and single phase with a double pole main switch. As such it is not incorrect to refer to a CU as a DB, although not all DBs are CUs.

EDIT: Much as @pc1966 has stated.

I think this intriguing study explains it all.

They told me a CU … consumer unit… was domestic. Where there is a consumer, that lives in the house.

The consumer can be a person or a company and applies to all types of installation.
Consumer in this case would be the consumer of electricity, which could be a domestic consumer, commercial consumer etc etc

I think most folks still think "fuse box" even though fuses have not been the norm for many years now.

I believe a CU is defined as a DB that meets specific type approval for domestic use, so DB is a more generic term.

I posted similar thoughts in another thread, some time back.

Regardless of everything, 'consumer unit' has no meaning to anyone outside the trade and is a daft term.

While incorrect, 'fusebox' has meaning for domestic customers and its use in conversation is understood by all involved. DB covers all types of distribution board and is understood by everyone in the trade.

I gather that CCU/CU was introduced as a term for domestic DBs, to replace incorrect use of 'fusebox', but it's a nonsense term and I refuse to use it unless absolutely necessary. I won't encourage the madness of others 😁

K
What is the room where your going to locate CU/CCU/DB/FuseBox? Could you run circuits/tails in plastic trunking?

You do need to think about Notification, which Country do you live in?
hmm ideally not. It’s in the hall in plain sight. Not tucked away anywhere nice.

I live in England. I’ll probs get a part p spark round before I run anything and then get them to cert it

I posted similar thoughts in another thread, some time back.

Regardless of everything, 'consumer unit' has no meaning to anyone outside the trade and is a daft term.

While incorrect, 'fusebox' has meaning for domestic customers and its use in conversation is understood by all involved. DB covers all types of distribution board and is understood by everyone in the trade.

I gather that CCU/CU was introduced as a term for domestic DBs, to replace incorrect use of 'fusebox', but it's a nonsense term and I refuse to use it unless absolutely necessary. I won't encourage the madness of others 😁
I have to agree with this. 'consumer unit' is as vague as it gets, and 9 out of 10 customers don't have a clue what it is.

Although I use the terms Fusebox and consumer unit. The majority of the time I call it a board.

IE.. Where’s your board located? What RCBO’s will fit this board, look at the state of that board, who the F… still installs split load boards these days? Etc…

Legrand and many others offer these purpose made duct's to take a DB, CU or whatever you want to call, they are floor to ceiling units and tidy up what could be a messy area: https://www.leroymerlin.fr/produits...l-legrand-h-260-x-l-25-x-p-6-cm-70564011.html

They also offer a splayed head unit to accomadate multi choise entry.

1673828476007.png

Last edited:

Reply to Housebashing wiring helped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock