Search the forum,

Discuss I had more chance of winning the lottery in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We fitted a solar edge system back in March in Scotland

Anyway the customer called me to report a fault on a panel on his system ,

so I checked his system on via the solar egde portal online and yes one of his panels where down

so I traveled 4 hours to replace the power optimizer behined the panel

I replaced it and hey presto it worked fine.

I looked at the faulty power box and could not for the life of me see anything wrong with it.

so a few days passed , I got bored and decided to looki inside the power optimizers

so I unscrewed the lid and looked inside I noticed little black spots inside on the chip board So i looked closer and the black dots where moving

little bugs or flys where running around inside the power optimizer

what are the chances of that a fle must of blew the chip board or somthing as it did not work.

I had some faults to find before but this one must be at the top.

so 8 hours drive all for some little bugs , how they got inside I will never know.

one to tell the grand kids.

I thought the optimisers had a 25 year warranty? Considering where they are positioned surely they are supposed to be water-tight and therefore bug-proof?

In summary, you might have a small claim against Solar Edge.

I had this years ago near the coast of the North sea. I fitted Stienel Pir's around a building, I paid the extra money for them because of their reputation and because they were to be fitted about two hundred yards from the sea. After six months I got the call that one was not working, so when I get the cover off it is infested with tiny bugs/flies. Now I made sure this was sealed super tight as the winds are ferocious and the spray from the sea reached them. I will never understand how they got in there, unless I left them open on the ground and the little fella's got in and bred like crazy.

try watching that prog. monsters inside me. now that's scary

its like little mites, they get attracted to the warm circuitry, and also they seem to like the type of oil that gets sprayed onto finished circuit boards as a protectant (to stop IC pins from corroding) in the factory, as the old laquer they used to spray on (like clear varnish) got phased out due to chemical nasties....
you can get these going into your mobile phone as well if you keep it in the car or van and they end up running around on your screen which is not nice.......can I borrow your phone.....Sure.....EEEEEEKKK BEESTIES!!!!

Reply to I had more chance of winning the lottery in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back