Discuss insulation lump test in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Graham Coughlan

Could someone please help me understand insulation lump test. I've had a look through gn3 but i cant find anything that says "insulation lump test" as such.

Am i missing it or is figure 2.3 on page 39 pretty much it?

My final 2394 test is today!!

Cheers

Well been at this game for 20+ years and never heard of it.
Unless you mean the combined test.
Gn3 method 2
Disconnect main Supply and neutral.
Test between all line conductors and earth.

Basic really

The question ive got is: 19 - Four circuits have insulation resistances of 40MΩ, 50MΩ, 100MΩ and 100MΩ. When tested together (insulation lump test) what would be the expected reading:

We're all supposed to do a lump test now and again. But I've heard it's best done after a hot bath, and I don't think water and voltage mix well. Not that I fancy sending 500V through the boys anyway !

Well it's better doing it there than in a welder's gauntlet as was the practice in certain Geordie shipyards. ;)
On one site I was on years ago there was a guy who could dish it out but went mental if anyone gave it back. He used to leave his boots in the cabin of a night time so an apprentice decided he was going to take a dump in them.
Knocking off time and he did indeed take a dump in what he thought was this lad's boots. Only problem was the site foreman had exactly the same boots.
Oh how we laughed.

On one site I was on years ago there was a guy who could dish it out but went mental if anyone gave it back. He used to leave his boots in the cabin of a night time so an apprentice decided he was going to take a dump in them.
Knocking off time and he did indeed take a dump in what he thought was this lad's boots. Only problem was the site foreman had exactly the same boots.
Oh how we laughed.

I used to employ some ex-shipyard lads - great lads they were, VERY useful to take to visit "slow payers" - and they had me howling with their shipyard stories.

One such story was about a group of shipyard lads on the bus going home from work and one of them made the comment: "Look at the plight of that!!" about a less than attractive woman that the bus had just passed.

The bloke sitting in the seat in front turned and smashed him in the mouth saying; "That's wor lass!!"

Reply to insulation lump test in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net