Discuss Is Work slow for everyone? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am on Monday spent the best part of half an hour yesterday filling the form in online.

I am tempted to not renew my elecsa membership next year just so I can reduce my costs a bit if things continue like this, seems as though folk think you are ripping them off when you mention Part P.

I know it has been done to death on here but the fact there is nothing in the public domain telling folk anything about it or there responsibility makes me wonder why i should bother paying for bugger all.

In April /May I did not have a lot as work from my letting agent fell off a cliff ie 20 jobs that time last year to 7 low value but i got out and did my flyers rehashed my website so remember you need to chase the jobs as they will not come to you now this is not a lecture by any means as there for the grace of God go I but last year I invested in 5000 double sided A6 flyers for £65 (from printsmarter) and I have about 2500 left and this has paid back about 50% of my income to date

In April /May I did not have a lot as work from my letting agent fell off a cliff ie 20 jobs that time last year to 7 low value but i got out and did my flyers rehashed my website so remember you need to chase the jobs as they will not come to you now this is not a lecture by any means as there for the grace of God go I but last year I invested in 5000 double sided A6 flyers for £65 (from printsmarter) and I have about 2500 left and this has paid back about 50% of my income to date

Marketing is a 365 day/year activity and WILL cost.

I am on Monday spent the best part of half an hour yesterday filling the form in online.

I am tempted to not renew my elecsa membership next year just so I can reduce my costs a bit if things continue like this, seems as though folk think you are ripping them off when you mention Part P.

I know it has been done to death on here but the fact there is nothing in the public domain telling folk anything about it or there responsibility makes me wonder why i should bother paying for bugger all.
Don't forget they (elecsa) will take the fee up to a good 3-4 months before your membership expires, you you'll need to cancel your DD well in advance.

Is this thread a consequence of the deskilling of the industry? Supply of labour has rocketed, demand is lower and the demand that does exist is more keen on price than ever before.

Drivers for change to this situation are:
- government propensity to raise entry barriers (new entrants and overseas converters)
- global/European financial crisis
- better knowledge amongst unemployed/redundant folks about the risks of entering this industry
- wider scheme awareness amongst the public
- better awareness of electrical safety in the home
- improved policing and control of existing controls (e.g. LABC)
- developed sales & marketing skills of those in the industry

Any thoughts?

plenty of work in the north east coming up,starting tomorrow,all flood damage,worst weather in 100 yrs,over 1 months rain in 1 hour..absoulte chaos,the wife and kids are still stuck in traffic now,no buses no metros..never seen anthing like it,roads have gone,roofs caved in..

Is this thread a consequence of the deskilling of the industry? Supply of labour has rocketed, demand is lower and the demand that does exist is more keen on price than ever before.
Well yes not wanting to sound racist but a lot of eastern europeans on the scene making a quick buck that eventually will give more work to the people (me) who has to sort it.Also the flood and I mean flood of guys wanting to be electricians and want to learn as they do they job so will either work for buttons or free
Drivers for change to this situation are:
- government propensity to raise entry barriers (new entrants and overseas converters)
Government needs to take the Schemies out of the equation as it is them that are contributing to all the confusion plus hence why people are just doing what the want.
- global/European financial crisis
Yes this cannot be discounted as people are worried so they will not spend unless they have to
- better knowledge amongst unemployed/redundant folks about the risks of entering this industry
Yes you have hit the nail on the head as there seems to be a feeding frenzy of guys trying to get in on it plus the Schemies and the training companies are not helping ie train to be an electrician in 5 weeks and earn £50k plus house wiring is dead easy. Errr well yes for me as an industrial commercial spark who has stepped down 10 gears when I started my business with 36 years experiance behind me but every day is a school day
- wider scheme awareness amongst the public
This is the biggest problem plauging our industry as the Schemies are busy out selling each other that are devalueing what we have plus the public are confused to such an extent they are starting to go back to recommendations from the guy next door.
- better awareness of electrical safety in the home
Simply put there has not been anough electrical deaths for this to happen and it wont as the government will say its part of the Schemies remit to do so hence the ESC RCD campaign
- improved policing and control of existing controls (e.g. LABC)
It just will not happen they want self policing self regulation ie less Nanny State and more self responsability only thing its a bit like the new banking scandel who cares who gets hurt as long as I am getting through the day and turning a buck. Plus Schemies will not eject anybody because this means a loss of subs.
- developed sales & marketing skills of those in the industry
Yes this is the way I have survived ie websites flyers emails but take the sales out of it I sell myself as good value and quality for money. Remember it has been sales that have destroyed the world economy. Libor cheating,trailer trash loans,PPI,endownments , pensions al down to who cares what happens as long as I reach my sales targets

Any thoughts?
Thats enough to get on with

very little work on for us at the moment and ive got find a way put the missis though college as she wants to become a photographer im in 2 minds wether see it through or jack in sparkying alltogether my hearts no longer in it waking up in the morning wondering if im getting laid off today or tommorrow

ive seen it bad last year but never this bad seen guys i went college with who passed their 2330 and nvq 3 become qualified and they stacking shelfs in morrisons or on the dole and i can imagine more and more sparks heading that way

been to sites where most of the sparks are non english speaking earning 8ph and english speaking sparks with 2391 earning 3 quid more the industry is in dire straights and cant see it improving

This thread makes me chuckle a little bit because so many posters don't give their location - work could be slow on the moon, in Timbuctoo or in Huddersfield!

You never know there may be people looking at this thread who need people, and those who don't give their location could well be missing out!

very little work on for us at the moment and ive got find a way put the missis though college as she wants to become a photographer im in 2 minds wether see it through or jack in sparkying alltogether my hearts no longer in it waking up in the morning wondering if im getting laid off today or tommorrow

ive seen it bad last year but never this bad seen guys i went college with who passed their 2330 and nvq 3 become qualified and they stacking shelfs in morrisons or on the dole and i can imagine more and more sparks heading that way

been to sites where most of the sparks are non english speaking earning 8ph and english speaking sparks with 2391 earning 3 quid more the industry is in dire straights and cant see it improving

Well this blows the myth of a severe shortage of sparks maybe this will turn down the volume on the feeding frenzy of guys being sold the 50k a year dream you too can be an electrician in 6 weeks yet the funny thing is the Schemies are still selling these courses where the are pretending everything is ok sadly employers will accept EEC sparkies with dubious eastern european trade cards who will not be here in 5 years when the customer is looking for them to sort out the mess they made mind you maybe I will get more of it.

So I put something together as a result of this thread. What's really scary is the amount of google ads that are appearing that clearly indicate the advertiser has no idea how the system works. e.g. viewer physically located in London (along with his internet service provider), seeing ads from all over the country. What a shame those sparks are throwing away their advertising budget.

Me thinks Dan should add a specific "area" for people to look at where this sort of "realistic" information can be available without people having to wade through masses and masses of threads!

I think the main reason for the lack of work is.......
Democracy and capitalism have failed us.

Turns out the commies had it right all along....
You don't hear people in china complaining about lack of work.

Reply to Is Work slow for everyone? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net