Discuss Light switch/Rose complications in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Philomacc

DIY
Reaction score
I've have had a lot of experience of "DIY house electrics" (changing sockets, adding sockets, lighting circuits etc.) over many years but what happened to me yesterday has completely floored me. We have a single ceiling light in the bedroom with a single one way switch. There also a couple of picture lights which seem not to work and seem not to have a live feed (there is a twin gang switch near the floor which doesn’t seem to do anything either). I have bought a new ceiling light fitting and a dimmer switch. I have changed both before in other rooms no problems. So I was expecting a single T&E into the top of the back box (the switch line to/from the ceiling rose), and two T&E at the rose (a feed spurred off the main lighting circuit, and a switch line). I was a little apprehensive because this is in the extension of the original 1980’s house and every time I have done anything in the extension (built in 90’s) I have found shoddy workmanship. Maybe this could happen again? Picture 1 shows what I found in the back box, Picture 2 shows that I detected only one live cable into the box, the others are neutral, Picture 3 shows the rose with FOUR T&E cables (looks like 3 but it is definitely 4) coming into the rose. I am very confused. The 4 core cable from the back box, runs down to the floor .. I haven’t inspected under the boards yet as it is a lot of hassle taking up sections of chipboard. The T&E from the back box runs up the wall, roughly vertically (it seems to deviate near the ceiling?!).

What I want to do is disconnect all the unnecessary cables and rewire the T&E to the back box as the switch line (which as can be seen from picture 1 it clearly is NOT!!!), and find the feed and switch lines to the rose, ignore the others and wire up as a conventional switch. Is this going to be possible with the weird setup that seems to be in place? Any advice please guys.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Picture 2.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Picture 3.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 19
Pictures 1 and 2 shows a two way switched circuit, none of those conductors are a neutral.

Reactions: DPG
Picture 3 shows a standard way to connect a ceiling rose although the pendant drop is connected the wrong way around. There is however an extra black with no red so I assume this is cut off.

Pictures 1 and 2 shows a two way switched circuit, none of those conductors are a neutral.
thanks for that. Why 2 way .. there is only one light switch? Also why does the 4 core go down to the floor? can I simply disconnect the 4 core entirely and rewire the switch do you think

There is either another switch somewhere so the light can be controlled from two separate places or it has been removed. If connected as I think then the cable can be disconnected and made safe and the other cable connected across the upper terminal and one of the lower terminals of the switch.

There is either another switch somewhere so the light can be controlled from two separate places or it has been removed. If connected as I think then the cable can be disconnected and made safe and the other cable connected across the upper terminal and one of the lower terminals of the switch.
Good call..... OK I've found the other switch (hidden under the bed!) so I can completely remove the 4 core and use the t&e as the switch line yes?

Check there is no other cable at the second switch but yes you can ditch it.

Reply to Light switch/Rose complications in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net