Currently reading:
Looking for a new mft tester

Discuss Looking for a new mft tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all
Can anyone offer some insight on which of these MFTs i should go for i have narrowed it down to the 2 below. Any one used or had experiences with these 2 :).
I presently have the Metrel eurotest Easi which as served me well for about 3yrs and i must say metrel technical was fantastic when i had issue.

Metrel mi3101 EurotestAT pro kit with easi swt and software

Seaward powerplus 1557 with software bundle

Regards
Sparkypablo

No i have to admit, the Megger cases are totally pony!! they are a pain to pack you meter away, and i can only liken them to a similar case that cheap £20 cordless drills come in, what invairiably happens is that what is a brilliant meter, the megger never gets packed away in its box and ends up sliding about lose in the van. this is one of the big plus points about fluke, the case is like a wheelie bin and its no trouble to pile everything back in it and no matter how untidy it is you can always get the lid closed.

so ideally, a megger MFT in a fluke box. i bought an aluminium camera box for my megger. fits a treat, with low ohms meter and socket adaptors etc.

OK like one of those were you cut out the foam to what shapes you want ?
i have one for my nikon camera and lens
thats a great idea !

Can't really see how a case can detract from such a fantastic meter? But still, each to their own...
Staffie let me put it this way would you like to carry your tools around in a plastic carrier bag ? well thats what it is like with the megger carry case hence why I am thinking of buying a Fluke case as it allows you to store your leads unlike the megger where you are tucking them in

similar. no foam, just adjustable partitions. which nikon have you got? i use canon.

Tester xbox bag 003.jpgTester xbox bag 006.jpgTester xbox bag 007.jpgTester xbox bag 001.jpgTester xbox bag 008.jpgTester xbox bag 002.jpgTester xbox bag 005.jpgI like the meggerTester xbox bag 004.jpgalong with the old skool XBOX bag does the job, the case is better for me than the hard plastic case that the tester comes with, i can carry more at once. Wonder lead, megger and all leads, and loads of other bits along with all paper work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Staffie let me put it this way would you like to carry your tools around in a plastic carrier bag ? well thats what it is like with the megger carry case hence why I am thinking of buying a Fluke case as it allows you to store your leads unlike the megger where you are tucking them in

Have you not seen the state of some sparks van's, just lob it in, wouldnt know what a case is for!!, im a big advicate of everything back in its case and in its place myself

I have a Megger, can't really say the case bothers me if I'm honest, what's inside does! I guess I'm just not a fan of fluke mft's...

Guy's this is a serious question. I have never used a Megger or Fluke MFT. I've been using my old Robin brick for years, but I do wonder about what differences there are. How does using these top spec meters help? What does it do differently?

Cheers all !

Guy's this is a serious question. I have never used a Megger or Fluke MFT. I've been using my old Robin brick for years, but I do wonder about what differences there are. How does using these top spec meters help? What does it do differently?

Cheers all !

Basicaly it depends on your preference some of us old timers were brought up with Megger and Fluke so you will find that we tend to stick to those makes I worked with a guy whos eyes lit up when you mentioned Fluke as he had one but when it came to me getting one I admit it I played safe and chose the Megger now thats not saying the rest are no good because these things are like cars they all have badges but the internal parts are made by the same companies and no doubt we all fall for the branding so the thing is evaluate all thats on the market and see what your budget can afford and if you think what is the big deal about what box it is in well thats where Megger and Fluke know their customers the know if it is not stored safely it will get kicked about the back of a van or dropped on the floor plus these new MFT tester are better than carrying a pile of seperates with you (as far as I am concerned) no more running back and forth with differant calibration dates and remember it does not natter what you buy if its got a calibration certificate then its legit

Thanks oldtimer. It's not that I'm against technology, I do try and embrace it. I used to use excel for my invoices until I tried Sliq, I used to hand write cert's until finding a PC version so I was wondering how a fluke or megger would help me / save time etc. My robin brick is a MFT, I've bought a silver padded hard case and keep all my gear in there, MFT, leads, voltage tester etc. She's calibrated annually, tested every month and never had a problem it. I understand the new ones will store your test results etc, but for the amount that I use it, it hardly seems like stumping up all the extra cash.

I'm trying to think of something to justify an ipad though !!! :D

I used to swear by my old Robin separates kit, then had a FLuke purchased for me by a comapny i was working for. I only used it because it saved me carrying around so much gear. Funnily enough it has died and i have replaced it with Kewtech and it is much better. The robin kit is still going although rarely used!

Now the Ipad, well how many reasons do you need?
Both AMTECH and TYSOFT are developing apps that will allow you to enter the data onsite and tranfer into the main databse of your certs. You will not need an extra license for it, it will be part of thier system, like the PDA version but with bigger screen, etc! Alas no release date yet!
I use one onsite, i can keep up to date with what i am doing onsite, variations etc, no more decyphering what i have written on scraps of paper, it has no keyboard to get messed up or full of dust onsite, the battery lasts all day so no need for power, lightweight, secure (use passwords to gain access), email easier than a smart phone, full internet with a decent screen. And now the ipad 1 is cheap cheap cheap! the ipad 2 is not much of an improvement for what i am doing with it, so bargains to be had!

Thanks oldtimer. It's not that I'm against technology, I do try and embrace it. I used to use excel for my invoices until I tried Sliq, I used to hand write cert's until finding a PC version so I was wondering how a fluke or megger would help me / save time etc. My robin brick is a MFT, I've bought a silver padded hard case and keep all my gear in there, MFT, leads, voltage tester etc. She's calibrated annually, tested every month and never had a problem it. I understand the new ones will store your test results etc, but for the amount that I use it, it hardly seems like stumping up all the extra cash.

I'm trying to think of something to justify an ipad though !!! :D

Well I aint got into tranferring the readings to a laptop although my understanding is you have to work the laptop in conjuction when using the tester and because I do not do a lot I usethis View attachment quick check.pdf and then fill the certs in at home

useful . just downloaded it. better than the back of a beermat anyday. TA.

Reply to Looking for a new mft tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock