Currently reading:
low output until all panels in sun

Discuss low output until all panels in sun in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You should certainly have one string all the way to the left so only one gets the worst of the shading but the output number does suggest something is terribly wrong. It needs to be checked to ensure a connector has not popped and one string is down thus leaving a shaded string? Hard to say. You could turn off one string and see if the output changes?

If it is one string then it is right on the voltage limit of the inverter and if the temperature is low it will likely exceed the limit as these panels are 37voc at STC. Maybe something to do with it. So how many inputs are there from the panels? 2 cables or 4 cables?

The output figure of 0.37kW does seem low to be honest.

I would be amazed if the panels at the right end of the array were actually providing any benefit whatsoever. A proper shading analysis would have pointed out which panels would receive significant shading - something, incidentally, that the new MCS method won't do.

I've not got time to check the system parameters but I will when I get back home.

If it is one string then it is right on the voltage limit of the inverter and if the temperature is low it will likely exceed the limit as these panels are 37voc at STC. Maybe something to do with it. So how many inputs are there from the panels? 2 cables or 4 cables?

I'll need to check by looking at the inverter but I'm pretty sure there are 4 inputs from the panels to it.

you've been sold the wrong inverter. For a string inverter in shading like this you need either Aurora Power-One, or SMA TL or HF inverters, or similar which have a full voltage range scan function that stops it sitting on a false peak like yours is, and enables the bypass diodes to function correctly to bypass the shaded sections and allow the rest of the array to operate at near enough full capacity.

they have also probably undersized the cable, causing the inverter to raise the local grid voltage beyond the protection limits causing it to cut out - either that or you have very high grid impedance on your incoming supply / high grid voltage anyway, or maybe a lot of other solar installs on the same line.

I'll post up a graph of a system we've been monitoring that has hard shading coming across it from 5.30pm, without this function enabled it was doing as yours is, with it enabled it's reducing output by around 10-20% as the shading runs across the array.

I think we'd all be interested in seeing how it's been wired up...

No experience with Solarmax but we'd have used a Power One in this scenario. Or perhaps Solar Edge. Probably would have positioned the panels differently as well.

I think we'd all be interested in seeing how it's been wired up...

No experience with Solarmax but we'd have used a Power One in this scenario. Or perhaps Solar Edge. Probably would have positioned the panels differently as well.

I'll get a photo for you tonight. What in particular are you looking for a photo of?

I'll get a photo for you tonight. What in particular are you looking for a photo of?

Just the whole thing. Is it in the loft directly below the panels or somewhere else? Where the isolators are, how they connect to the inverter, what cable has been used...

It's probably been done correctly and only the shading is impacting on output but if there's something wrong, you've got a few dozen experienced installers who might spot it.

OK, that all makes sense.

I spoke to a guy called Iain Garner from Tigo this afternoon about their optimisers. That was really helpful and it seems that the kit that they have could help us overcome this issue. Also solarmax have now said that we'll need a new inverter since there is the issue with a fan failure! Hopefully we'll get there in the end.

Ok, here's some photos. It's in the loft just below the panels.

2013-06-10 19.27.14.jpg

2013-06-10 19.27.23.jpg

2013-06-10 19.27.34.jpg

2013-06-10 19.27.57.jpg

2013-06-10 19.28.36.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks to me that the pos and neg are the wrong way round in the inverter if the tape on the cables are correct? only looks like 1.5 flex to the AC isolator 2.5 at best, should be 6mm, 4mm at worst. Are there any other isolators for the DC supply from the array. In all doesn't look too good would definitely get them back

Are there any DC isolators or are they somehow built into the inverter? Doesn't look like it to me.

There should really be a label on the inverter but that's small fry compared to other issues. The four cables flying thru the loftspace aren't best practice either. They should really be clipped or run in trunking and clearly labelled.

No fireproof board behind the inverter either...

There's an isolator between the meter and the consumer unit but that's it as far as I can see.

Do you mean the cable that runs from the inverter to the ac isolator in the loft is too thin? The grey twin and earth? What effect would that have? Could it cause the inverter to restart as shown in the videos I posted earlier?

Thanks guys, this is a big help and feel I'm getting to grips with it.

The main concern is the white cable from the bottom of the isolator which should go to your consumer unit via another isolator and the generation meter this would cause conciderable volt drop and loss in generation but the main issue is the positive and negative the wrong way round from the panels this would cause the problems you have, don't be tempted to swop them round as there are no isolators and would be very dangerous, it definitely needs looking at by someone who knows what they are doing

Reply to low output until all panels in sun in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back