Discuss Need advice on replacing 35 year old flood light on outside of house. I would like to use LED light. Thanks in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

stouto

DIY
Reaction score
I will be using an electrician but I will have to buy the fixtures. The base plate for most new Flood Lights are small 3 - 4 inches and and don't appear to be durable . Old one is about 5 inches and metal . I need a lot of light down my driveway. Will there be any problems using a GE 3000 lumen light (uses 32 watts) and a small size new flood light fixture. Please help Thanks.
Jess

Typically LED lights are around 4 times more efficient than halogen so a 32W LED flood-lamp is roughly the same as a 120W halogen.

Depending on what you already have you can estimate what replacement you would need (e.g. if you have a 500W lamp then you should be looking at 100-120W LED or so). If you have a long driveway to light you might be better to have several smaller lamps spread out to illuminate more evenly.

I have to to say that most of the flood light below 50W is poorly designed, especially the driver due to the cost budget issue. Have to know the length and width of the pathway and make the calculation, then to make the right offer.
The old designis designed by the halogen flood light, you have to adjust the design by the features of the led flood light. Halogen has more penetrability than LED, you should also consider this.

For light output halogen will always win. Led lights have to be super super strong to "cast" the same difference .Its not all about LED been the best option.
I totally agree with it, LED is a cost-effective solution when it is going to massive projects, meanwhile it needs much more knowledge and design in the projects than Halogen because of its disadvantages.

For light output halogen will always win. Led lights have to be super super strong to "cast" the same difference .Its not all about LED been the best option.
In what way? 5000 lumens is 5000 lumens whether from a tungsten halogen source, a gas discharge source or a LED source. In fact the LED has the edge because it's directional, and eliminates losses in reflectors.

In what way? 5000 lumens is 5000 lumens whether from a tungsten halogen source, a gas discharge source or a LED source. In fact the LED has the edge because it's directional, and eliminates losses in reflectors.
If the ratings are genuine !I tried a halogen V a new Luceco power rating /output meant to be the same . The halogen punched light better by about a visible 10 mtrs . I also prefer LED . But think we had some way to go yet ?

Reply to Need advice on replacing 35 year old flood light on outside of house. I would like to use LED light. Thanks in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net