Discuss New light wiring advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I really hope someone will be able to help. So last night I tried to change 2 ceiling rose / pendant lights at my mother in laws newish build with ones I bought online. The bedroom has 3 lights, the main one in the middle on 1 switch, and 1 in each corner of the main wall (2) on another switch (the lights being changed are the ones in the corners). I changed the furthest one first which only had 3 wires (blue, brown, and earth) plus the 2 pendant wires (blue and brown), connecting the earth to the bracket and connecting the brown to brown and blue to blue using 2 seperate wago connectors. I then tested the main light which was working but I didn't have a bulb to test the new light.

So I moved on to the other light and this time it had 6 wires (2 blue, 2 brown, and 2 earth) plus the 2 pendant wires (blue and brown). So I repeated the process of connecting the 3 brown and 3 blue using 2 seperate wago connectors, with earth to the bracket. Tested the main light again and I am sure it worked (but I can't remember for sure), I flipped both switches a few times quite quickly to make sure all was ok, then the RCD tripped. So I checked the connections and all seemed ok, and then thought maybe the switching caused the trip, so I reset the RCD. After resetting the RCD the main bedroom light along with the landing light wouldn't turn on. I tried different bulbs that are working elsewhere in these but still no light, the RCD didn't trip again either?

My thinking was maybe I wired it wrong, so I replaced everything as it was, but there was still no light in the main bedroom or landing bulbs? I played around with the connections thinking maybe I connected them the wrong way round, but I still could get them to work.

It seems that the system is looped at the switch rather than the rose because there wasn't anything in the rose loop connection when I started? I have attached a photo of the ceiling rose that had the 8 wires in, which was the 2nd light I tried to change (the picture isn't clear but the pendant is wired in at each end of the rose).

I haven't really checked the looping at the switch so I'm unsure if that's been disturbed? Or could it be the light switch itself... is it possible for that to fail?

I have tried to explain everything that I did, and I hope that someone will have an idea of what to check?

Help would be very much appreciated :)

Attachments

• ceiling rose.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 10
less than an hour for a spark to fix. time to get the wallet open.

less than an hour for a spark to fix. time to get the wallet open.
I am on the case with getting quotes for this, but just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything obvious before spending out ÂŁ120 plus VAT to have the problem sorted and the 2 lights fitted.

Remember one of the blues will mostly be a switched live rather than a neutral. Did one of them have any brown sleeving over it?

Remember one of the blues will mostly be a switched live rather than a neutral. Did one of them have any brown sleeving over it?
Thanks for responding. There wasn't any brown sleeve on either of the blue wires. So I just replicated the connection pictured with wago connections... we hadn't used these lights yet so could be possible they were wired incorrectly before I started?

Thanks for responding. There wasn't any brown sleeve on either of the blue wires. So I just replicated the connection pictured with wago connections... we hadn't used these lights yet so could be possible they were wired incorrectly before I started?

Actually ignore my comment - I've just remembered you said it was looped at the switch rather than 3 plated at the rose.

Reply to New light wiring advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net