Discuss 'Older' guy looking to train, advice sought. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Driverman, yes I'm currently employed and therefore don't think I would be eligible for funding, but thanks for the suggestion, I'm sure there may be others who this will help.

Yes you're right Siriusdave, the college programme leader has confirmed the course is now the C&G 2365, and that level 2 will take approx 2 years and level 3 another year. These can then be substituted into the NVQ L3 (2357) diploma as 'knowledge' units and then the 'performance' units are undertaken on the job to satisfy the NVQ L3 requirements.

Another quick question, presumably electricians are only really looking to take people on who have some form of qualification behind them (ie C&G 2365 level 2) instead of someone like myself who has no
electrical qualifications other than GCSE electronics, is that right? Saves me embarrasing myself by applying prematurely.

I'm very grateful for the info guys. It's a bit confusing at first but I think I have managed to get my head around it.

Dom

Hi all

Sorry to bring up an old thread but it seemed pointless me starting another.

I've basically been given the opportunity to start the C&G 2365 level 2 at a local college as I'd hoped but I'm a little apprehensive whether to go ahead. Although becoming an electrician has always been what I wanted to do as a career, I'm just wondering whether there are many opportunities to work "on site" to gain experience as I've been looking at local ads for electricians mates and all seem to require previous experience? So basically, I'm wondering whether I would be wasting my time studying the course over 3 years if I can't actually become fully qualified? (as you all probably know the c&g 2365 requires on site experience to be assessed for the NVQ L3).

Anyone have have any experience in this area? Or advice? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Dom

Many people are in a similar position, wanting to train but having difficulty getting employment because they are not trained!
It is a bit of a catch 22 situation, however this is the same for almost all areas or any skilled work, and having the qualifications and experience does not also mean instant success.

Unfortunately there is a dearth of opportunities about for people to start their experience, however this is not to make you lose heart, they are some chances available and some members of this forum have been able to take them and progress and this can be the hope for you as well.

Because you are are following the approved route this will give you a lot more chance to progress well in your career and give you more likelihood of getting a start. You would need to put in a lot of enquiries out there to get a response, once you are near completion on level 2 and you have more understanding of the needs of the job you will be in a better position to be of use to an employer, however it is worth seeing if you can get an apprentice position (ideally) or work as a mate or just a labourer at the early stages, be ready to take pictures of all electrical work that you get to do then you maybe able to use these for your NVQ later.

As you say you are following the route that you want to take then you will have to make that step and commit to the course:smiley2:, hard to do but easier once you are there, not so hard looking back on it, maybe.
Go for it as you are ready to go, have the chance, and can follow your heart, just be ready for it not to be a smooth and easy ride, it will take work and effort and there will be some downsides on the way but the end result can be clear in your mind to lead you on.

Good luck and best wishes.

Have you spoke to the college and asked if they try and help you look for work? Im not sure what its like in Lancashire, but over here in north.yorkshire the work seems to be dieing down abit with more and more sparks appearing self employed.

Definitley a bad time to get into the trade, but if you do manage to find an employer, even temporarily, i'd definitley give it a crack.

Go for it Dom ! You will only regret it later on im sure of that

Id rather be a qualified spark struggling to find work than somebody with no trade / experience who's in the same position

Ive also just started my 2365 Level 2 in September

Also, regarding the NVQ, you can still sign onto the 2356 with XS training before December this year which doesnt require you to be in full time employment to complete, you can do voluntary work etc.. to get your portfolio together, you have until the end of 2016 to complete this so plenty of time to get experience / evidence together

Im sure somebody will correct me if im wrong, but to complete the 2357 NVQ, you have to be in full time employment over 30 hours per week which makes it much more difficult to complete in these hard times

My personal advice from somebody who was in the same position as you a few months ago would be to get yourself on the course ( although if starting soon you will have missed quite a bit wont you ? )

While on the course keep pestering the companies in your area to get some on site experience, whether it be a 1 day one off job, or a few weeks worth, it all adds up

You may get lucky and they more offer you more frequent work

Basically try get as much on site experience during your 2365 course as you can, and take plenty of photos to go towards your NVQ

Good luck mate !

Hi all,

just wanted to say many thanks for the info and advice. I didn't want to regret the opportunity and decided to commit and enrolled on the course and I'm really looking forward to it.

Thank again guys!

Reply to 'Older' guy looking to train, advice sought. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net