Search the forum,

Discuss Outside lighting, best way to wire them and what with? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No it didn't have a light on it.

bet it did..

Police-04-june.gif

Hi Tim, your garden is considered to be a special location so any work carried out there is notifiable to the Local Authority Building Control and should really be carried out by a competant person. I would call someone in for this one if your unsure matey

Wow, I wasn't expecting quite a response. But I understand the basic legist is not to do it myself. I'll have to save up a fortune for an electrician. :)

Id like to tank everyone who has replied, as jus took me nearly half an hour to go through them all :)

Thanks a lot everyone really much appreciated for all the replies and different views.

Thanks.
tim

And also plumbing is easy when you've been doing it long enough, but agree even with plumbing trainee centres they are churning them out every week as a fully qualified tradesman after 1 year...then they go out and cause £1000s of damage when it goes wrong lol I'm a qualified heating and gas engineer and do it all, but electrics certainly ain't my thing.....and according to you guys I don't think I'll try the lights :)

Thanks again for all your replies :)
tim

Wow, I wasn't expecting quite a response. But I understand the basic legist is not to do it myself. I'll have to save up a fortune for an electrician. :)

Id like to tank everyone who has replied, as jus took me nearly half an hour to go through them all :)

Thanks a lot everyone really much appreciated for all the replies and different views.

Thanks.
tim

You say you'll have to save a fortune to get an electrician in.... Not being funny but connecting three lights won't take forever. And there is a way of coming off the socket if carried out the correct way. I don't think it would cost as much as you think

This just shows how daft the Part p system is really to me, it's a very simple job, as the op says the socket supplys a garden light anyway, the internal house socket will be protected via the cu. If it's a plug/socket then the plug top will be fused. At the end of the day all he needs is the correct cable/junction box for the location. Why wouldn't it be safe for him to do if he had the correct items? if he wires it wrong it either won't work or it'll take the fuse out. It just seems daft if he was more than able to do the job to pay out for building control to sign it off !! for what ? 3 little garden lights ?? blimey

Runs for cover LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This just shows how daft the Part p system is really to me, it's a very simple job, as the op says the socket supplys a garden light anyway, the internal house socket will be protected via the cu. If it's a plug/socket then the plug top will be fused. At the end of the day all he needs is the correct cable/junction box for the location. Why wouldn't it be safe for him to do if he had the correct items? if he wires it wrong it either won't work or it'll take the fuse out. It just seems daft if he was more than able to do the job to pay out for building control to sign it off !! for what ? 3 little garden lights ?? blimey

Runs for cover LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ill take the first shot.....
Well for one he's using twin and earth outside......

No i wasn't meaning he had the right idea, the op was only putting forward his idea by asking how. I was asuming he'd know about RCD to power outside though.

Reply to Outside lighting, best way to wire them and what with? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net