Discuss Outside lighting, best way to wire them and what with? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Tim, just to point out what others haven't is that your idea of twin and earth used to install garden lights and coming straight off a mains socket is very wrong. And rather dangerous. It wouldn't cost much to have an electrician install these for you. Hope you get to read these comments before something goes wrong.....

Possibly!!

But then you could end up far worse than just wet too!!! This just smacks of another wanna-be electrical policeman that thinks the general public should be banned from purchasing anything remotely electrical, because they owe you a living!!

As i said, this isn't anything New!! Never been a problem in the past. I've only ever seen/heard of anyone wanting to ban the sale of electrical materials to the general public, since the formation of Part Pee scam providers and the influx of quick fix training centre's churning out under trained ill experienced wanna be electricians....

If anything, those two organisation types should be your targets for any banning, not the general public!!!

I think the thousands of house fires and many deaths by electrocution may argue against this sentiment!

Always fancied being a policeman, lie the uniform! :D

Possibly!!

But then you could end up far worse than just wet too!!! This just smacks of another wanna-be electrical policeman that thinks the general public should be banned from purchasing anything remotely electrical, because they owe you a living!!

As i said, this isn't anything New!! Never been a problem in the past. I've only ever seen/heard of anyone wanting to ban the sale of electrical materials to the general public, since the formation of Part Pee scam providers and the influx of quick fix training centre's churning out under trained ill experienced wanna be electricians....

If anything, those two organisation types should be your targets for any banning, not the general public!!!

as e54 says,the industry is worse since part p,not better..

Eng, I don't think that anyone was saying that the general public owe us a living. It is frustrating tho, when one tries to do things by-the-book at great expense, to find every incompetent Tom, Dick and Harry "having a go". I don't agree with banning the sale of electrical installation goods to the general public, but I do think that the centres that sell them should be more pro-active in pointing out the dangers and risks.
Surely, you can't condone poorly done DIY electrics, just because it's everybody's right to do so, when you so vehemently lecture everyone here (and I do agree with you) on low Ra readings!

as e54 says,the industry is worse since part p,not better..

I think market conditions are worse because we are not on a level playing field, do it by the book, registration, fees. test equipment or just throw it in no questions asked, who's going to be cheaper. The industry and scam providers are shooting legit sparks in the back!

Jumps off soapbox

Reply to Outside lighting, best way to wire them and what with? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net