Currently reading:
Outside lighting, best way to wire them and what with?

Discuss Outside lighting, best way to wire them and what with? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tim101232

Hi, i have bought 3 lights for my garden, I've installed them on 3 upright posts and driled 1 hole through the back of the post for a cable to run through and down the back of the post. At the base of the posts I have decking, then a patch of grass before the house.

I was wondering if someone could help me to determine if.....
i can wire 3 lights with a twin and earth grey cable? Joint all 3 together under my decking with a splitter thing, then run the cable in under my grass in some kind on duct and then up then up the wall and drill a small hole where I have a socket already located the otherside inside the house that powers one light already in The garden?

Now this is just what I know, but would like a professionals help to point me in the right direction?
thanks to anyone in advance who can help me and thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Thanks.
tim

No it didn't have a light on it.

bet it did..

Police-04-june.gif

Hi Tim, your garden is considered to be a special location so any work carried out there is notifiable to the Local Authority Building Control and should really be carried out by a competant person. I would call someone in for this one if your unsure matey

Wow, I wasn't expecting quite a response. But I understand the basic legist is not to do it myself. I'll have to save up a fortune for an electrician. :)

Id like to tank everyone who has replied, as jus took me nearly half an hour to go through them all :)

Thanks a lot everyone really much appreciated for all the replies and different views.

Thanks.
tim

And also plumbing is easy when you've been doing it long enough, but agree even with plumbing trainee centres they are churning them out every week as a fully qualified tradesman after 1 year...then they go out and cause £1000s of damage when it goes wrong lol I'm a qualified heating and gas engineer and do it all, but electrics certainly ain't my thing.....and according to you guys I don't think I'll try the lights :)

Thanks again for all your replies :)
tim

Wow, I wasn't expecting quite a response. But I understand the basic legist is not to do it myself. I'll have to save up a fortune for an electrician. :)

Id like to tank everyone who has replied, as jus took me nearly half an hour to go through them all :)

Thanks a lot everyone really much appreciated for all the replies and different views.

Thanks.
tim

You say you'll have to save a fortune to get an electrician in.... Not being funny but connecting three lights won't take forever. And there is a way of coming off the socket if carried out the correct way. I don't think it would cost as much as you think

This just shows how daft the Part p system is really to me, it's a very simple job, as the op says the socket supplys a garden light anyway, the internal house socket will be protected via the cu. If it's a plug/socket then the plug top will be fused. At the end of the day all he needs is the correct cable/junction box for the location. Why wouldn't it be safe for him to do if he had the correct items? if he wires it wrong it either won't work or it'll take the fuse out. It just seems daft if he was more than able to do the job to pay out for building control to sign it off !! for what ? 3 little garden lights ?? blimey

Runs for cover LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This just shows how daft the Part p system is really to me, it's a very simple job, as the op says the socket supplys a garden light anyway, the internal house socket will be protected via the cu. If it's a plug/socket then the plug top will be fused. At the end of the day all he needs is the correct cable/junction box for the location. Why wouldn't it be safe for him to do if he had the correct items? if he wires it wrong it either won't work or it'll take the fuse out. It just seems daft if he was more than able to do the job to pay out for building control to sign it off !! for what ? 3 little garden lights ?? blimey

Runs for cover LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ill take the first shot.....
Well for one he's using twin and earth outside......

My point really is for someone that knew exactly how to do it but wasn't Part p registered would have to get either someone that is or building control to sign it off. It'd cost more for BC to sign it off than the total outlay for the parts . Just daft.

My point really is for someone that knew exactly how to do it but wasn't Part p registered would have to get either someone that is or building control to sign it off. It'd cost more for BC to sign it off than the total outlay for the parts . Just daft.

That has always been the contention with Part P. Many excellent electricians out there (let alone DIY'ers) who should not do work on their own property (without notifying LBC) due to not being a member of a scheme.

I think the thousands of house fires and many deaths by electrocution may argue against this sentiment!

Always fancied being a policeman, lie the uniform! :D

Really, ...thousands of electrical house fire's?? Many deaths by electrocution?? All caused by DIYers?? Check the actual figures, i think you'll be more surprised than i was...lolAs i stated ....It's never been a problem in the past and it certainly isn't one now.

Reply to Outside lighting, best way to wire them and what with? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back