Discuss Point to ponder in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
Outside cabinet to power private estate street lights, cabinet is suppllied from mains PME,d standard 1361 cut out and independant meter, two way C/U, outgoing cables are 2.5 3 core SWA,
where is the EPZ ? and if within the cabinet,then I cannot take the earthing outside it, if I take it to each lamp in turn (15 in total) I am theoretically exporting the PME or am I
Pict

the lights are part of the installation and so the EPZ extends to all points.

Outside cabinet to power private estate street lights, cabinet is suppllied from mains PME,d standard 1361 cut out and independant meter, two way C/U, outgoing cables are 2.5 3 core SWA,
where is the EPZ ? and if within the cabinet,then I cannot take the earthing outside it, if I take it to each lamp in turn (15 in total) I am theoretically exporting the PME or am I
Pict

In fact, you Don't EXPORT an equipotential zone, you EXTEND it!! Low and behold, ...everything actually makes sense then too!!

In fact, you Don't EXPORT an equipotential zone, you EXTEND it!! Low and behold, ...everything actually makes sense then too!!

I'm hoping a simple logical question for one who knows little about this sort of installation, what if there is a street sign fed from a different supply adjacent to a lamp post, how would that effect the situation?

EPZ doesnt really apply to highways power & street lighting furniture in the traditional sense
in a domestic its easy to define the zone by virtue of the property / building and any metallic services entering it that may require earthing / bonding.

but go out onto the public highway with a street lighting circuit that can stretch for hundreds of yards then all gets a bit difficult to establish.

and if you consider metal lamposts to be part of the epz you would need to run 10mm earth bonds to each unit , which obviously isnt really feasable , so earthing is provided by your swa , as is the industry norm.

on the whole i'd say it doesnt really apply to this type of installation although others may disagree.

Reply to Point to ponder in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net