Currently reading:
Rcd protecting new ring main

Discuss Rcd protecting new ring main in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davek

Hi all,
I have been to look at a job, in a unit who require extra socket in a office. It is one of those building that has been split into small units,
The supply is 3ph. Each unit is supplied from mains with separate meters and a 3pole isolation switch with bs88 fuse 63a.
the board is a merlin gerin isobar 4c. the breaker are c60hb. my thought where rcbo but I can only get a c rated 32a which using table b6 gives me 0.58 ohms the zs at supply to board is 0.18.any thought or suggestions.
thanks
Dave

Schneider bought over merlin gerin so is essentially the same make. It's not a good idea to try to get another make to fit the db as its not to manufacturers instructions therefore any issues with it in the future it'll be your name on the sheet saying that's ok.

It's not a good idea to try to get another make to fit the db as its not to manufacturers instructions therefore any issues with it in the future it'll be your name on the sheet saying that's ok.
Strewth not that old chestnut again, as long as the OCPD fits correctly there is no problem with this.

That rumour needs putting in the same place as cuttting off a plug top i validates the warranty.

Strewth not that old chestnut again, as long as the OCPD fits correctly there is no problem with this.

That rumour needs putting in the same place as cuttting off a plug top i validates the warranty.

i'd fail it straight away. It's not to manufacturers recommendations. If the manufacturer recommended that you don't do it a certain way and you do it that certain way then you are setting up for a big fall should it go wrong. Looks guff as well

i'd fail it straight away. It's not to manufacturers recommendations. If the manufacturer recommended that you don't do it a certain way and you do it that certain way then you are setting up for a big fall should it go wrong. Looks guff as well

And if the MCB's/RCBO's are essentially manufactured in the same factory on the same production lines, on the same machines, only the manufacturers logo and part/model numbers etc, differ??

You'd be surprised just how many so-called manufacturers use 2nd party manufacturing company's to supply their own products and licence product production for 3rd party manufacturers.

I'm with Dillb on this...is it fit-for-purpose ? If yes fit it.

I don't invite all my friends (yes both of them) to look at my DB, so I don't care what it looks like as long as it is safe for my family and the wife can reach a tripped circuit with a stick :cheesy:

Its a recommendation ("this may invaladate the warrenty") not mandatory, its just another reason for them to try and weasel there way out with their shoddy product.... and don't get me started on fans and 3A fuses.

At the last NIC visit I was told that installing a different 'make' of breaker was a no no, even if it was the same breaker labelled differently...................I laughed.....then went outside and had a whistle.
Schneider IS Merlin.

Reply to Rcd protecting new ring main in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock