Discuss Return to the industry after 20 years! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rob190

-
Reaction score
Hi guys, have searched through loads of threads but can't seem to find what I'm looking for hence the new thread!

I'm gonna be leaving the services soon and need some advice on updating my electrical skills/quals to survive in civvy street!

I completed an electrical apprenticeship in the late eighties gaining C&G 236 i & II also completing AM1 & AM2 under the 16th edition- also did an electronics C&G which I can't remember the name of!

My apprenticeship was with a large firm in London that covered large sites through down to small works.

I realise updating to the 17th is a must but what else?

My services career had nothing to do with using these skills - not such a good idea 20 years later!!

My obvious question is what would I need to make my skills current?

Any advice appreciated,cheers

Hi Rob
It very much depends on what you want to do? if you want to carry out domestic work what about completing your Part P you will need 17th. Do you intend to go self employed?

Good Luck
Steve

Yeah, was thinking self employed working domestic/light industrial - after sorting out somewhere to live I'll have enough from from pay off to absorb training/set up costs.

I have been keeping my hand in doing little jobs here and there for friends and family but would also look to work as a mate for a while to gain current experience - not naive to think I can walk straight back into the job after such a long time!

Has anyone else here returned under similar circumstances? how was it? Does the fact I've completed an apprenticeship albeit a long time ago give me a better position than these courses that will make you a spark in 20 weeks?

So just the 17th and part p to start up then? Any other recommendations after that?

Looking at other threads, not the best time to start working self employed but just got to crack on with it!

Cheers for the reply

Hi Rob
As you say not the best time to start, however I changed career late (42) in life did years at college in electrics & plumbing and started doing odd jobs. Completed my level 3 2330 joined NAPIT Part P and then did 2391-10 (very hard!!). Build up your customer base look at other stuff like a bit of plumbing painting & decorating etc etc untill you have enough electrical work.

Steve

Reply to Return to the industry after 20 years! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net