• Please don't put your personal contact details in this area of the forum. These are public threads and everybody will see them. Including spammers. Even dodgy companies who cold call you. Instead of doing that, click on a persons username and click 'Start Conversation' and share those details between yourselves. :)

Discuss Roof access harness in the For Sale and Wanted Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes I can rock & I am, why should any employee have to be put at risk in any way means shape or form, or have to spend their own money to protect themselves so that their employer can make a profit at their expense?

Now if anyone out there really believes that employers should still in this day and age be risking their employees lives & health for profit and nothing else, then I'm sorry I can't align with those values even as an employer and never will.
Health and safety must come above profit, if you believe otherwise then good luck to you, but I will never believe that.

Surely there is no-one in this day and age that will put their employees health and lives below that of making profit for the company? Seriously?
I can't fault THAT post.....maybe it should have been your first?!

I completely agree that an employer has all of the responsibilities above, and more, but just as many soldiers in the forces buy their own boots for comfort, so would I choose to with a harness. I cringe when I see guys working at height with harnesses that look like they're made from cheesewire, my Navaho (they now seem to have rebranded them, see the link) is designed for pro riggers (such as me) and is capable as a positioning/abseil device not just fall arrest use (of whatever flavour). I even went to lunch in a cafe wearing mine on Monday (not deliberately, btw).

Surely there is no-one in this day and age that will put their employees health and lives below that of making profit for the company? Seriously?

You need to get out more! There are many many employers who put profit above health and safety.

Generally they have all the risk assessments and method statements filled in and filed away somewhere gathering dust and they spend the bare minimum possible on the most basic training they can get away with to tick the box.

An example from my experience is the theatre world. Manual handling training consists of the basic how to lift small regular objects course. When I asked if they were going to teach is how to move large irregular objects the answer was 'no, your employer didn't pay for that part of the course only the basic level'
Considering 99% of the stuff we have to shift is big and irregular it's pretty useless.

As far as I can see my previous posts have been in total alignment with that post.

I have been for breakfast/lunch in a cafe in a fall restraint harness before now and it does not bother me.

Mine is in accordance with the PPE directive, provided by my employer and I know how to wear it.

The issue is though rock, if you buy your harness, then you are liable if it is inadequate, plus you have spent money on it that you could have used to pay your mortgage or feed your kids, (if you are employed), why should you do that. In fact why should our soldiers who are protecting us HAVE to do that also, they should not, they should have sufficiently comfortable boots provided the fact that the do not is a disgrace on the whole country who these people are putting their lives on the line to protect.

rock, if you are self-employed / 1 man ltd. co. then the harness is your call, if you are not then it is your employers call, and, if it is not adequately comfortable to be worn for the required time scale it is required for then it is not fit for purpose and thus does not meet the PPE regs, thus your employer is in breach of their statute law duty.

Interesting thread and good contribution from all. I have nothing to add to it. I do however want to pick you up on one comment of yours Paul;

In fact why should our soldiers who are protecting us HAVE to do that also, they should not, they should have sufficiently comfortable boots provided

Try telling that to the RSM :D

Hahaha

"Stop complaining and buy yer own ya ****in' nancy boy!"

Interesting thread and good contribution from all. I have nothing to add to it. I do however want to pick you up on one comment of yours Paul;

Try telling that to the RSM :D

Hahaha

"Stop complaining and buy yer own ya ****in' nancy boy!"

I realise that Damien, but it is still unfair IMHO that these guys have to do this, and spend their money to ensure that they are battle fit, to protect us.

I realise that Damien, but it is still unfair IMHO that these guys have to do this, and spend their money to ensure that they are battle fit, to protect us.

Aye it's disgusting, I agree, but it aint gonna change any time soon. Our soldiers have always been under equipped and will continue to be so for hundreds of years to come.

With regard to the rest of the thread, put it this way, the safety of my staff is paramount. It's not about the money for me, it's about the fact that I could never forgive myself if someone working for me, whether employed or subcontracted, hurt or killed themself and there was something I could have done to prevent it.

If they don't find their provided PPE comfortable, I'll reimburse them for buying their own (within reason).

On the flip side, I've booted subbies off site many a time for slacking on the PPE side of things. If I tell you to wear goggles when grinding and you don't, you go home, simple as. My site induction forms make it very clear that not abiding by site rules means a swift kick out the door!

Reply to Roof access harness in the For Sale and Wanted Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net