Currently reading:
safe isolation for work on lighting

Discuss safe isolation for work on lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Ric79

My manager is telling me that I can safely change a light transformer by switching the lights off at the switch. I thought the light switch wasn't suitable for isolation. And also if the lights are on further on in the circuit can there not be a residual current in the neutral. What are your opinions? Thanks in advance.

Ric, there's a good chance that if you take this clown's advice you could die. There is no substitute for the proper safe isolation procedure.

If you are the one carrying out the work then it is your responsibility to isolate it properly regardless of what any other numpty tells you.

I have been working on a lighting circuit (safely locked off at the CU) when the customer has come in and tried to turn the light on at the switch "So that I could see what i was doing"
The moral of this this story is SAFE ISOLATION.

I have been working on a lighting circuit (safely locked off at the CU) when the customer has come in and tried to turn the light on at the switch "So that I could see what i was doing"

if the guys your working with say dont isolate it, oops i accidentally tripped the rcd by shorting l-e

if the guys your working with say dont isolate it, oops i accidentally tripped the rcd by shorting l-e

Sounds like this has been done before

If you don't test then how will you know if the live feed is through the switch, it could be the neutral which is switched then you would be working on 230v live. Take advice already given.

My manager is telling me that I can safely change a light transformer by switching the lights off at the switch. I thought the light switch wasn't suitable for isolation. And also if the lights are on further on in the circuit can there not be a residual current in the neutral. What are your opinions? Thanks in advance.

If you are an apprentice, and your Manager tells you to do something, then usually you do it. It's easy for us (now that we're older and battle-hardened) to tell him to argue with his boss, but it's not always that simple.
As the others have said, it needs isolating properly, and it's a poor Manager who would tell you otherwise. As Andy78 says, print out the ESC guidance and show him. Good luck.

and leading on from that excellent ---- post, you can't secure a bog standard light switch so your boss is an ARSE.

he should be chucked down the stairs. hence the expression, arse over ---.

I did something similar when I first started out. The Electrician was changing a light and just turned off at the switch. Part way through I asked if he wanted the light on to see!

If you know the safe isolation procedure (which any spark/mate/apprentice should) sod what he says and isolate the damn circuit and lock it off.

Managers will always push for you to get the job done. It's your life not his.

I have had MANY arguments with Managers over the years who want the job done faster. I've even been pulled into the office by my own supervisors for having a "bad attitude" when hassled by a production Manager, simply for standing my ground over safe isolation.
Glad I'm self-employed now...

production managers are spawn of the devil.

I was once asked to work live by a suit who didn't want the inconvenience of no computer access for ten minutes, I refused and told the suit I'd be happy to loan her the tools and stand behind her talking her through the job step by step. Needless to say she refused but did report the incident to her boss (a retired doctor) who demanded I carried out the work, he got the same response and also refused.

After various threats and cajoling I told him to shove his job where the sun don't shine. If there is a means of isolation if you don't use it you're foolish.

Shanky we're supposed to be properly qualified people, sometimes there are occassions where working live is inevitable and we're supposed to know how to deal with that. When there's a means of isolation though mate.........

Reply to safe isolation for work on lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back