Discuss Same old van question... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ok being that I'm no good with making a decision I've narrowed my search for a new van to either
Transit Custom 130 SWB
Renault Trafic 125 SWB
Connect 120 LWB (throw in a little curve ball as they seem very cost effective)

Was thinking of the new Vito but being you get nothing as standard and workshop hourlys are over £80 thought it just wouldn't be worth it...

Had a three day test drive in a custom auto with half leather the other week which I liked and have the trafic lined up in august for another three days

I'm probably gonna lease on the first one for the warranty term 3/4 years and then decide from there if I'll get another one outright, the residual value on the fords seem better maybe due to renaults sketchy electrics past...

What's people's thoughts on them and for a jobbing electrician would the connect be to much of a tight squeeze?

Ta Scott :)

Outgoings more than anything and can't really justify a £3-4K spend just for vat down payment at the moment, I know I'll get it back just don't wanna be flagged up for excessive spending as I've got to kit the van out too.

I will be looking down the outright avenue just as a matter of course but only for monthly cost comparison

Vauxhall for me, I have 2 x Vivaro and 1x Astravan.
I know they are supposed to be the same van but my mate is always having problems with His trafic's and they are new eveytime, I have tried converting him to vivaros which I have never had an issue with.
I like the look of the Custom but have heard they are very thirsty Buggers.

The auto custom I test drove was roughly getting mid to late 20's which isnt great but I assumed it just needed bedding in as it'd only done a couple of thousand.

I have looked at Vauxhall but the guy at the dealership said and I kid you not said he'd buy a custom if it was his money or the Renault as you get loads more kit for the same money not the vivaro haha

Had a new shape Transit Connect SWB for around a year but traded it back in to get a Transit Custom SWB, found the Connect got full very quickly and couldn't get into a number of car parks with a roof rack and tube on top!

Haven't got bad word to say about the Custom and couldn't recommend one enough! Went for the "Limited" spec one and got the optional folding roof bars which are a god send! Having the flap under the passenger seat to allow lengths of conduit etc is a nice touch as well.

Only gripe is I wish I'd gone for a magnetic coloured one as opposed to silver...

The auto custom I test drove was roughly getting mid to late 20's which isnt great but I assumed it just needed bedding in as it'd only done a couple of thousand.

I have looked at Vauxhall but the guy at the dealership said and I kid you not said he'd buy a custom if it was his money or the Renault as you get loads more kit for the same money not the vivaro haha
20's????? that's guzzling it. a vivaro should get about 40 without being too heavilyladen. my 13 year old hiace does 38 -40.

I have a Traffic swb sport 120 on a 65 plate (got it ex demo with 1100 miles for £13000 plus vat) lovely to drive, holds what i need (got a rhino type roof rack for 8x4 sheets etc)
I am getting around 450 miles to a tank and i drive it hard.
Loads of bits included that Vauxhall charge extra for, Alloys, sat nav, air con, auto wiper and lights etc etc (wish i had a rear camera)
I think Renault and Vauxhall do the 4 years interest free with 4 years servicing, 4 years breakdown and 4 years warranty.
(There has a been a recall on loose re axle bolts)

I don't like the idea of loads of gadgets on a van, just more to go wrong imo

I've got a 65 plate vivaro it's classed as the basic model but comes with electric windows and mirrors, Bluetooth, eco mode etc and I get 47mpg.

I treat the van for what it is " a van " and when I want all the gadgets and luxury I jump in my car.

I don't like the idea of loads of gadgets on a van, just more to go wrong imo

I've got a 65 plate vivaro it's classed as the basic model but comes with electric windows and mirrors, Bluetooth, eco mode etc and I get 47mpg.

I treat the van for what it is " a van " and when I want all the gadgets and luxury I jump in my car.
electric windows. bloody luxury. fact is car windows of any kind were a luxury when i did my apprenticeship.

I've just started out and I bought a Transit Courier 2014. I know its small but I got it for a steal. I'm currently subbing to a site 25 miles away via dual carriageway and it is giving me 50mpg. I've put some small racking in and have to maneuver stuff around to keep a tidy van and system in place which is a ball ache. I can see me moving up in size but will try to hold out as long as possible.

thanks spunkywads had thought about a small van just for costing purposes but the whole climbing through to get bits does put me right off...

thanks for the other replys im getting the sense the transit and trafic/ vivaro are just down to personal preference rather than whats better.

I haven't regretted buying a Transit Custom three years ago. Nice to drive and fairly reliable (one air temperature sensor changed soon after I bought it). Ford's heated windscreen is a feature not common among other makes (very good in icy weather). Load-through under the passenger seat is useful for conduit and trunking. Fold down roof bars are quiet when not in use.

Cheers HS i am swaying towards the custom but still gonna take the Trafic out for a few days just to be sure...

Anybody use the H2 or high top version, thought it might be better for storing ladders etc in the roof space?

always liked the transit.last one i had was a V4 petrol circa 1973. their biggest problem is rot.

Reply to Same old van question... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net