Currently reading:
should have ripped it all out

Discuss should have ripped it all out in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

buzzlightyear

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
where do i start , a customer asks me to have a look at thier old swann cctv system which was left by the prev owners .
some cameras are not picking up any thing ,so i told them i will see to get some compatible cameras ,first replacement cameras nowt showing ,strange ,second lot of cameras in, what the F55K , either the old swann system is playing ball or the bnc cable is goosed ,
ok customer up grade to new dvr replace the 3x cameras and you should not have problems, first camera in ok ,second camera ok , third camera no signal .holly cow .
so to day i had to replace a bnc cable 25 metres long back in years old conduit .
give me cat 🙀 5 any day .

After the incredibly poor tech support I got from Swann about about 12 or so years ago when trying to fix / recover video from one of their systems for a customer I won't even install their kit even if the customer supplies it
When you look into the specs of Swann kit they use cheaper red hard drives rather than the purple drives designed and built for CCTV systems

Agreed, i've had nothing but negative experiences with Swann systems. Have a hotel that won't replace theirs and hate the call outs for it.

some years ago my daughter had a mad neighbour who was posting lit paper through her letterbox.

The police could do nothing as there was no evidence of who it was that did it, even when she saw her do it on one occasion.
the neighbour would just turn her lights off and pretend not to be at home and the police would go away again.

because of the urgency of it I decided to buy what I could get hold of at the time from currys or maplin etc.
swan kit with 4 cameras, I found it a pain in the rear to install, not nice to commission and generally poor quality compared with what i would normally fit.

on the plus side, 48H later when the police came round to visit and were shown clear footage of her coming from next door, lighting a rolled up paper and posting before returning home from an hour previously, they didn't give up when she "wasn't in"

an extra van turned up with a big universal front door key and they dragged her out, never to return.
although the kit did the job it was installed to do, i suggested she left it behind when she moved house.

on a slightly off topic note, anyone who lives in an area where the door to door callers are not always nice, a CO2 fire extinguisher by the front door is a useful safety feature.
obviously it is there to put out any fires "officer"
it is not great at putting out paper fires because it blows everything around, useful for any liquid fires though.
however it can be debilitating with the smoke and noise generated if it is discharged in someone's face, giving enough time to close the door on someone determined to enter.
I would never encourage it to be used to swing or jab at a disoriented intruders nose though.

on a slightly off topic note, anyone who lives in an area where the door to door callers are not always nice, a CO2 fire extinguisher by the front door is a useful safety feature.
obviously it is there to put out any fires "officer"
it is not great at putting out paper fires because it blows everything around, useful for any liquid fires though.
however it can be debilitating with the smoke and noise generated if it is discharged in someone's face, giving enough time to close the door on someone determined to enter.
I would never encourage it to be used to swing or jab at a disoriented intruders nose though.
😂

Would it be reasonable to set up a rifle range in the hall?
We used to have one in our hallway, had a metal backstop with some spinners set up in it!
Great with the air rifle!
I left holes in the Plaster trying to hit the spinners with my pistol😀 never was any good with a pistol, I can never get my breathing right and wobble about to much to be accurate.

Reply to should have ripped it all out in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock