Search the forum,

Discuss Should the UK pay up? UK told to pay £1.7bn extra to EU in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

The EU can ask and even demand to have UK annual contributions raised, but the fact is, a calculation was negotiated and a contract agreed and signed between the UK and EU at time of entry. Basically the same as every other member country. Now if the UK and Holland made particularly good deals compared to other member countries, TOO BAD!! I doubt very much if the EU can make any member country legally break a signed contract....

The biggest drain on EU finances is the EURO, it's a currency that cannot survive in it's present form. As it stands when one Euro country hits a major balance of payment problems it quickly becomes a domino effect for other Euro countries that are having problems, and once a country's rating falls below ''double A'', they start having serious borrowing problems on a worldwide scale!! Just thank your lucky stars that the UK didn't go down the Euro Zone route!! lol!!

The EU can ask and even demand to have UK annual contributions raised, but the fact is, a calculation was negotiated and a contract agreed and signed between the UK and EU at time of entry. Basically the same as every other member country. Now if the UK and Holland made particularly good deals compared to other member countries, TOO BAD!! I doubt very much if the EU can make any member country legally break a signed contract....

The biggest drain on EU finances is the EURO, it's a currency that cannot survive in it's present form. As it stands when one Euro country hits a major balance of payment problems it quickly becomes a domino effect for other Euro countries that are having problems, and once a country's rating falls below ''double A'', they start having serious borrowing problems on a worldwide scale!! Just thank your lucky stars that the UK didn't go down the Euro Zone route!! lol!!

Hit, nail and head.

The principle reason that the EU is still in recession is that the Euro countries can't recover. If the Southern countries had been allowed to leave back in 2011 then they, by now, would have had growing economies, which in turn would have meant that they would have had to pay more into the EU coffers.

Its also noted that as long as the Euro zone remains depressed, the UK economy won't grow much more either.

So this means that as long as the Euro continues, and the UK economy grows, then our payments to the EU will more than likely grow whilst Germany and France will continue to get "rebates"

So the UK will continue to prop up the Euro what ever happens!

This is in addition the £2 billion we "give" to the Euro "disaster" fund.

Stupidity

Hit, nail and head.

The principle reason that the EU is still in recession is that the Euro countries can't recover. If the Southern countries had been allowed to leave back in 2011 then they, by now, would have had growing economies,

Are you sure about that? Ireland has the fastest growing economy in the EU the economy grew by 7.7% in 2014

Are you sure about that? Ireland has the fastest growing economy in the EU the economy grew by 7.7% in 2014

Ireland has been through very tough public spending cuts and has now emerged from the "other" side - I can't imagine the French, Spanish, Italians, or the Greeks doing the same!

The Irish took on the changes in a positive way - and well done to them - they adjusted their outgoings to suit their income.

Ireland has been through very tough public spending cuts and has now emerged from the "other" side - I can't imagine the French, Spanish, Italians, or the Greeks doing the same!

The Irish took on the changes in a positive way - and well done to them - they adjusted their outgoings to suit their income.

But they are still in debt and still have a credit rating below ''double A''!!

Ireland the country may be recovering, but it is 6 quid a pint and a lot of the people in it are struggling, it may start getting very much like here, 1% are rich, 50% struggling and 49% damn broke, and 300,000 families living off food banks, great Ireland had a tough spending cut regime, I hope the public are happy living in squaler.

Reply to Should the UK pay up? UK told to pay £1.7bn extra to EU in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net