Discuss Side jobs. Cash in the hand in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electreacle

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi,

Really appreciate the help in advance..

I’ve been asked to install an outside socket and a floodlight with PIR. I’m a 4th year apprentice and feel more than competent in carrying out this small job.. I have my own testers so beforehand I will be checking if I have end to ends R1+R2, a good IR etc etc.

The landlord is renting out individual rooms within The house. Basic HMO setting. The landlord last had his EICR in 2020. Could I still carry out this work without notifying it under a Minor works?

Could I carry out the work and give him a schedule of test results but not sign it? The work I will be doing is just adding to existing circuits.

Hi,

Really appreciate the help in advance..

I’ve been asked to install an outside socket and a floodlight with PIR. I’m a 4th year apprentice and feel more than competent in carrying out this small job.. I have my own testers so beforehand I will be checking if I have end to ends R1+R2, a good IR etc etc.

The landlord is renting out individual rooms within The house. Basic HMO setting. The landlord last had his EICR in 2020. Could I still carry out this work without notifying it under a Minor works?

Could I carry out the work and give him a schedule of test results but not sign it? The work I will be doing is just adding to existing circuits.
There's nothing stopping you from signing a Minor Works certificate for the work, if you are competent - it doesn't ask for qualifications and by providing one you will already be ahead of many 'qualified' people working out there.

Notifying under Part P is a different matter, but since outside stuff was removed, this wouldn't be notifiable since they aren't new circuits, neither presumably altering a circuit in a 'special location'.

The only wrinkle I could see here is that it's an HMO, so HMO licensing might be in play. As far as I know that doesn't stipulate who can do non Part P electrical work, outside of being 'competent'

HMO? Better get the outside socket done done quickly before the end of the month ;-)
Tell me about it - I'm trying to get a consumer unit in on a full rewire before then! Though apparently if it is 'contractually signed' as an AMD 1 job then it can still be done to that after that date (according to my NICEIC assessor)

Tell me about it - I'm trying to get a consumer unit in on a full rewire before then! Though apparently if it is 'contractually signed' as an AMD 1 job then it can still be done to that after that date (according to my NICEIC assessor)
I was always under the impression that if the install was designed and installation commenced before the new ammendments were in force, then the change to new regulations do not apply to that installation, only installs designed and starting after that date, similiar to building regulations

is that correct?

I was always under the impression that if the install was designed and installation commenced before the new ammendments were in force, then the change to new regulations do not apply to that installation, only installs designed and starting after that date, similiar to building regulations

is that correct?
It is you could design a job now and finish it in 2025 using Regulations in force at the start of the job.

It is you could design a job now and finish it in 2025 using Regulations in force at the start of the job.
That's how I've always understood it with previous regs too - is that written down somewhere in an actual guidance or note.

The online version of AMD 2 actually says:

Under Introduction to BS7671:2018

"Installations designed after 31st December 2018 are to comply with BS 7671:2018"
Which is how I always understood it to work

Under introduction to Amendment 1:2020:
"Electrical installations falling within the scope of Section 722, the erection of which is commenced after 31st July 2020, are to comply with BS 7671:2018 incorporating Amendment 1:2020"

Which means that for AMD 1 all the changes have to be implemented based on erection date, not design date....

Under Introduction to Amendment 2:2022

It doesn't say either, just that A1 will be withdrawn on 27th September

It does have a series of notes about contractual and legal considerations, which may be where the view my NICEIC assessor took came from (She was passing on what she had been told in various seminars etc)

NOTE 1: Completion of an electrical installation designed to the withdrawn standard can be subject to the contractual agreement between all parties involved.
NOTE 2: BSI publishes information on the uses of withdrawn British Standards.

Just make sure the circuit you are using is up to scratch ie RCD, trip times,Zs , continuity and IR because once you touch it Its Yours
THis.... So skip cash in hand type jobs.Stay as legal as possible and create a good paper trail for each and every job possible

Reply to Side jobs. Cash in the hand in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net