Discuss Single & 3-Phase Voltage in The UK in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

the whole concept of RYB was that these are primary colours and by their very nature (and in nature) are an indication of danger. i remember in the 90's IEE as it was then , made the wiring regs. a British Standard ( BS7671), ​with the intention of preventing johnny foreigner from interfering. PAH !.

How I wish the UK voltage really was 230V.

Just this week replaced a dead Fridge Freezer, July a washing machine an Tumble Dryer. Voltage at my house is typically 248 - 253 volts. Highest I have seen is 259 back in July. Was the equipment damaged by the volts being high ? Maybe, but without a certified meter or power monitering equipment to moniter it for a week I am not really in a position to challenge Scottish Power.

Their response will simply be yes it is a little high, but within 10%. These bandits should at least be forced to change the taps on their distribution transformers to properly set the voltage.

How I wish the UK voltage really was 230V.

Just this week replaced a dead Fridge Freezer, July a washing machine an Tumble Dryer. Voltage at my house is typically 248 - 253 volts. Highest I have seen is 259 back in July. Was the equipment damaged by the volts being high ? Maybe, but without a certified meter or power monitering equipment to moniter it for a week I am not really in a position to challenge Scottish Power.

Their response will simply be yes it is a little high, but within 10%. These bandits should at least be forced to change the taps on their distribution transformers to properly set the voltage.

In our place we have a 245V on L1 and L2 and 255V on L3. That's the reason why motor current on one phase is always way too high. Another thing is control voltages are always higher, instead of 24VAC we have 28VAC or even 30VAC. For 24V contactors with AC coils it shouldn't be a problem cause if the voltage is too low it can do more harm than good.

Last edited:

Reply to Single & 3-Phase Voltage in The UK in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net