Discuss Sky digibox rf2 output - power to magic eye option to be turned off by sky firmware ? in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
"Hello All",

I wondered if anyone else has heard the RUMOUR that Sky are going to broadcast a Firmware Update around September which will have the `accidental effect` of removing the Set Up Option within the Engineers Set Up Menu to turn Power ON to the Digi-box RF2 Output / Remote Control `Magic Eye`.

This would obviously RUIN the `other Room viewing` for anyone who uses the RF2 Output / Remote Control Magic Eye set up to watch Sky TV in the Bedroom for example !

This RUMOUR has come from a well informed source - I cannot identify Him but He is a `renowned Expert` in all things Satellite TV.

He has NOT been able to confirm this at present as Sky simply will not discuss the matter - I have also tried to ask about this but I just cannot get access to anyone who would either know about this matter or tell Me the details about it - IF it is going to be done.

He has stated that it would be easy to get power to the Magic Eye - there are products made to do just that - BUT the Firmware Update may cause the Signal from a Remote Control via the RF2 Output to not be recognised by the Sky Digi-box !

I wondered if any other Member has heard about this ?

IF True this would be a `Disaster` for Me as I watch Sky TV ONLY from my Bedroom !

I also have a Second Sky Box [`Multiroom`] installed in the Second Bedroom which supplies the Third Bedroom via the RF2 Output / Power to a Remote Control Magic Eye - I THINK that it would be possible for Me to extend the incoming Satellite cable from Bedroom 2 to the Main Bedroom and install the Second Sky Digi-box there - this would mean losing Sky in Bedroom 3 but that is not really a big deal.

I have also heard that future Sky Digi-boxes will NOT have the RF2 Output - obviously IF what I wrote about here is true there would be no need for an RF2 Output - this would also present a problem if an existing Sky Box on which the RF2 Output was being used malfunctioned and a replacement was required.

I HOPE that this is NOT going to happen - BUT obviously Sky would prefer people to have `Multiroom` for viewing Sky TV in other Rooms.

Any comments would be very welcome.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Re: Sky digibox rf2 output - power to magic eye option to be turned off by sky firmwa

Chris - you don't seem to have any problem forming paragraphs :)

"Hello kingeri", I could not form paragraphs in my last message to You - and I cannot do so when writing this - although brief messages don`t need that - I have checked to see if I could do so by trying to drop down a line - I could not. - This exhibited itself Yesterday and I posted a thread / question asking if any other Members were having problems. When Marvo suggested that I try accessing the Forum by using a different Browser I tried with Google Chrome - this seemed resolve the problems and I then went back to some messages which I had written but could not form into paragraphs and Edited them into paragraph form. Later yesterday I encountered the same problems on the Forum while still using Google Chrome. Tonight whether I go to the Forum using Google Chrome or Internet Explorer 9 I have had the problem of not being able to form paragraphs in my messages. Regards, Chris

Re: Sky digibox rf2 output - power to magic eye option to be turned off by sky firmwa

Hmmm, strange. Ahh well, who needs paragraphs anyway!

"Hello kingeri", Did You try typing out anything and forming paragraphs / dropping down a line - just to see if this would happen to You ? - I still cannot type in paragraphs while writing this or drop down a line. Regards, Chris

I have the powermids and tiny little plug in magic eyes via 3.5mm jack into the powermid so the powermid itself is hidden. This is for my HD Tivo set up as there is no RF output. hope this helps people. I truly hope this is all a stunt and that sky will not do this! Fear for those who may have done a sky RF multi room recently as the customer wont be happy to learn the installer didnt keep up with his tech. As they say the customer is always right and it would be a difficult one. This is why i stay well ahead on my tech and install lots of AV installations on a regular basis. The amount i have to go put right because any old joe can pull in a coax and bang a magic eye on the end!

I have the powermids and tiny little plug in magic eyes via 3.5mm jack into the powermid so the powermid itself is hidden. This is for my HD Tivo set up as there is no RF output. hope this helps people. I truly hope this is all a stunt and that sky will not do this! Fear for those who may have done a sky RF multi room recently as the customer wont be happy to learn the installer didnt keep up with his tech. As they say the customer is always right and it would be a difficult one. This is why i stay well ahead on my tech and install lots of AV installations on a regular basis. The amount i have to go put right because any old joe can pull in a coax and bang a magic eye on the end!

"Hello MTI", Thanks for the extra details about the powermids.

I do hope that the RUMOUR that I described is NOT going to happen because of a severe Back problem I watch ALL Sky TV on my Bedroom TV - via a cable / Magic Eye connected between the Sky Box RF2 Output and the Bedroom TV.

I cannot name the source of this rumour as He writes on a Subscriber only Satellite website AND He has specifically asked that He is NOT quoted as He has not been able to establish the Facts about this.

The Information apparently came from a `Sky Insider` so He has taken it seriously enough to mention this to the Subscribers of the website.

It would NOT be appropriate for Me to name the website either because this would still be `disclosing the Identity` of the person.

I did find out from Sky that any `Firmware` would NOT be sent to the Sky Box via the Telephone line [which is what I thought] - it would be Broadcast via the Satellite.

I will keep looking for further information and I will gladly post on here anything that I find.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Sorry Chris but this just sounds like a croc of !!! he does not want to be identified why! there are numerous other threads out there with this info on without all the cloak and dagger request you appear to have found

Removal of the RF facilities are a logical progression in this digital age as we move towards TV streamed over the internet and this has been doing the rounds for a while now

As said in previous posts when installing an AV systems consideration has to be given to how you can futureproof the installation so minor technical difficulties like the one that started this thread can be worked around to provide a satisfactory outcome

Sorry Chris but this just sounds like a croc of !!! he does not want to be identified why! there are numerous other threads out there with this info on without all the cloak and dagger request you appear to have found

Removal of the RF facilities are a logical progression in this digital age as we move towards TV streamed over the internet and this has been doing the rounds for a while now

As said in previous posts when installing an AV systems consideration has to be given to how you can futureproof the installation so minor technical difficulties like the one that started this thread can be worked around to provide a satisfactory outcome

"Hello Ung",

The reason why I have repeated the fact that this is a Rumour and that the person who mentioned it to His website Subscribers stated not to quote Him is that I was expecting Members to ask Who / Where this Rumour came from.

I am a subscriber to that Satellite TV / Freeview website - which I joined when I had `Big Problems` with the Digital TV Switchover - I was given the name of the website by a Satellite TV Installer who I had spoken to about My Freeview TV Reception problems after the Digital Switchover.

I received regular `Newsletters` via Email - in the latest one was a link to an article about this Rumour that Sky were going to broadcast a Firmware update which would have the `Accidental effect` of disabling the Power On / Off to the RF2 Output on the Sky Digiboxes.

The Author / Owner of that website has been giving Technical advice to His website Subscribers for Years about Satellite TV - Digital TV - He is also an `Expert` on setting up Satellite TV in other European Countries / Holiday Islands and the website links to His Company which sells Satellite TV Equipment / Digital TV Equipment etc.

At NO point was He trying to promote the Sale of anything with this Rumour about the Sky RF2 Output - although He did mention a `Power Unit` [my description] for supplying power to the Magic Eye / Satellite cable to the Sky Box RF2 output.

His motivation for mentioning the rumour was to give a `Heads Up` to His Subscribers - many of whom will be using the Sky RF2 Output / Magic Eye Remote Control to view Sky TV in another Room / remote from the Sky Box.

He also stated NOT to submit questions to Him about this until He had received either confirmation or otherwise about the rumour.

There will also be Subscribers to the website who are very Technically knowledgeable on Satellite TV etc. and who also might have access to a `Sky Insider` - I am hoping that there will be a further Update on this in about a Month`s time on the website.

I had posted My message on the Forum because I THOUGHT that I would be giving a `Heads Up` to OUR Members - some of whom I have read on here Install wiring etc. for Sky TV to use the Sky Digibox RF2 Output - I wanted to give them the opportunity to try and find out more about this - IF possible - to prevent `Problems` with their Installations in future.

I take your points about the Technical Development in TV Streaming / TV Distribution / Future-proofing the Installations within the Home / Businesses - so I assume that MOST of our Members who carry-out these installations would already NOT be installing Satellite cable for the Sky RF2 Output / Magic Eye Remote Control of Sky Boxes in other Rooms of Homes / Businesses - ?

Anyway - MY motivation was JUST to give our Members a `Heads Up` - a Nudge to investigate this IF possible - and of course so that I could find out exactly what I could do / what I could use to overcome the `loss of the RF2 Output` - IF this ever happens - as I watch ALL Sky TV in my Bedroom.

Thanks again for your message - I appreciate your input.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

I believe the disabling of the rf2 output is purely to avoid lte problems and the overloading of sky boxes and the devices (such as magic eye signal passing gizmos - amplifiers) that can be powered via the rf2 outlet. 2013 some people will be affected, 2017 more people and even more by 2020. By getting people away from this form of distribution, the sky customer services helpline should be a lot quiter

Reply to Sky digibox rf2 output - power to magic eye option to be turned off by sky firmware ? in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net