Discuss So you think we should have stuck with red/black/green? Colour code brain teaser! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

nowt wrong with birkenhead that a couple of cwt. of semtex won't fix.

You think it should be twinned with Sunderland then?

It's a place I've been meaning to visit just to see for myself what it's like. I think the pub was in a street called Hope Street, but not sure now and I think they left there around the time of WW1

Ok ... here's a little story that was told to me by an old spark who taught me all I know, but sadly not all HE knew !!

I'm not sure if the story is true as he was a bit of a wind-up merchant and I can't go back to ask him as he's been helping God to wire lightning bolts for many years now, so maybe some of the older hands her (Tel, Tony, Eng54?) will be able to advise?

Anyway, this old spark told me that until World War One, the phase colours were Red, Yellow and Blue, but at some point during that war it was decided to change them to Red, White and Blue because it was considered to be more patriotic and these colours were kept after the war ended - up until 1970 something when they were changed back to Red, Yellow and Blue.

So lads, is this true or was that old spark pulling my wotsit??

So lads, is this true or was that old spark pulling my wotsit??

Now what is a wotsit?
icon11.png
Of course I know
icon6.png
I would say the answer has got to be Leg

Don't quote me on this but I think your wotsit was being pulled. The phases were red/green/blue, which did not conflict with earth because on the rare occasions it was insulated that was brown. Sensible or what? Primary colours for phases and brown earth.

It's been over 2 years since I last posted this bit of musing
​:sailor:

For homeowners that like to play around with the electrics and delve into the consumer unit

The mixed wiring colours notice on the mains board should read something along these lines

CONSUMER INFORMATION NOTICE

The 3 live conductors, coloured Red ,White, Blue, with the additional Black neutral and a Bare earth, may now have changed to Red Yellow Blue "note" the White is now coloured Yellow ,but the sequence remains,
Be also aware,yet another change means at present it may now be Brown Black Grey, with Blue neutral or a Grey that is oversleeved as Blue (which as replaced the Black for single phase, but remains as a live for 3 phase), although presently the Black is neutral for older systems, not forgetting the Green/Yellow which as superseded the Green

In order not to complicate the matter. but for reference, the bare earth that was Green and is now Green/Yellow, may in fact be Cream if you use a lot of IT eqipment
Other colours are not precluded, as long as coloured identification is used unless its single core which must be green/yellow

So put concisely
The live may be Brown, Red, White, Black, Grey, Yellow or Blue
The neutral may be Black,Blue or even Grey
However, colours for central heating control systems may be unfamiliar to you, So,

Be familiar with this information before attempting electrical work,or alternatively get an electrician in

Reply to So you think we should have stuck with red/black/green? Colour code brain teaser! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock