Search the forum,

Discuss Some (probably) stupid questions about my house rewire in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

The NICEIC will not be pleased to hear about one of their approved contractors carrying out shoddy work. Definitely follow this avenue, that is of course if you feel that you can trust them to re-enter your property?

The NICEIC will not be pleased to hear about one of their approved contractors carrying out shoddy work. Definitely follow this avenue, that is of course if you feel that you can trust them to re-enter your property?

Worth a go i suppose, but i suspect they will do little to nothing, apart from just going through the motions of being concerned.... Read of plenty of complaints to these people about what there members have done or haven't done, but no-one has seen any positive action being taken. That i would imagine, goes for all these so-called scheme providers, that profess there members have all been deemed ''competent''!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mrs Fletcher, if I were you you should google competent persons scheme and look up the sparky.

You should also ask him for his NICEIC number too.

Sounds like he's cut more corners than an F1 driver in a Grand Prix!

Hi all, sorry I have been busy with the old man recovering from spinal surgery and the children demanding all my time that why I am on at 11:00pm :(

Right, I live in a 3 bed detached, I was Quoted £3500 for a full rewire, no mention of leaving in any old wires as my husband told him, we are really worried about the lights upstairs that, wait for it, turn themselves on and off whenever they feel like it :6:(as it happens they dont do that anymore, so he fixed that) , we made sure he knew we wanted every wire out and replaced with new, included all switches, plugs etc...

The cooker has been spured of an existing plug, in fact we have found out he has spured off; the cooker, the lean to plugs and the lean to light as well as the rear security light all from one plug in the kitchen, thats what the grey wires are next to the pipes in the rather bad photo goto lol

The electrician came with the builder who was given to us by our neighbour and he is as shocked as we are about the turnout. The builder is saying this s the first time he has used this spark and wont be using him again, however the plumbing contractor tells us its his (the builders) son? All the building work (well almost all) is good just the odd thing like a big hole in the kitchen ceiling and the new shower leaks whenever its used lol

The guy is NICEIC as we have had the cert and its says part rewire but has no mention of old wiring? the NEW CU has no stickers on it other than what each switch does.

We did agree to move furniture for him and this we did, in fact he commented to me that we didnt need to do as much as we did as he just used the cellar to run the downstairs plugs and the upstairs was almost empty anyway? That is why we dont understand what he said to us?

Update

We have today come to an agreement as I offered him to attend my property with either a 3rd party electrician and or a rep from the NICEIC, he told me to err myself and if I was that bothered about his work I should just forget it! He has 2.5k of our money of which I dont think he deserves or at least another local electrician thinks he dosent as he has said he wants to pull it all out and start again? Im not sure its that bad but then what do I know?

We dont know what to do now, we have all had enough, its been going on for 2 months now and we just want o get the house decorated in time for Christmas and forget all about it, I think a new spark and a new builder to finish of the mess in the kitchen and bathroom and just put it down to bad luck :(

Out of interest, how much would you of charged?

And, of course, thank you ALL for your comments even the ones that dont believe me hehehehehe

Before you contemplate the rip it all out and start again method please do as some of the lads advised and post your town or area and I'm sure one of the guys will be more than glad to help out.

Though the install looks a mess the cables themselves look in good nick and a simple test will prove if they are or not, and by getting a lad off here he will advise you honestly what is needed to be done.

The lights going on/off by themselves was most likely just a loose connection and nothing to do with the condition of the wire.

As you say you have held back 1k I'm sure you will get a good PIR done, the majority of the tidy/remedial work done for that, perhaps less.

At least you know that you you will get a good job, honestly done and good advise.

Last edited:
If he is NICEIC registered he will be listed as a domestic installer or an approved contractor on their website. It'll take no more than 10 minutes to prove or disprove that. If it turns out he is not registered then I'd yell to them and building control who should (note I didn't say would) take action against him.
Use the £1000 that you didn't pay him to get the place inspected and tested and that should put your mind finally at ease.
T'would be interesting to see how this one pans out

£3500 for a 3 Bed detached, quite extortionate i think

£2000-£2500 max for a basic COMPLETE certified rewire

This is starting to look like something from BBC's Rogue Traders

Get the place tested and inspected especially if you have kids in there, i truly hate people who do this sort of work and charge vast amounts

Hope it gets sorted for you

£3500 is not that extortionate for a good job well installed. maybe top whack. i would have thought £3000 -£3250.

£3500 is not that extortionate for a good job well installed. maybe top whack. i would have thought £3000 -£3250.

Suppose it depends where you live too

Up in the north east, the going rate for us is around £1500-£2500 for 2 and 3 bed houses, basic rewire which can be completed in 1day and half no plastering, 500-600 for 1day n halfs work is not bad going !

The local electrical contractors were charging over 3000 quid in Essex for 3 bedroom rewires 5(ish) years ago. That did include all chasing in and making good using 2 to 3 electricians and completed in 2 days...

The thing is though, this guy didn't do a full rewire, and didn't provide all new wall accessories either. Not to mention the non conformities of the installation that he has done in this installation... Which makes that 2500 quid being a complete rip off in real terms!!!

Reply to Some (probably) stupid questions about my house rewire in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back