Discuss spur cable length in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

gobananas

DIY
Reaction score
Im running a ring main for all my sockets using 2.5 cable....as an after thought i was thinking to spur off one of my socket outlets and run up the wall and along a wooden beam...probably no longer that about 4 meters? for a ceiling fan.....this isnt the aircon mentioned in another post....seperate question....thanks

Im running a ring main for all my sockets using 2.5 cable....as an after thought i was thinking to spur off one of my socket outlets and run up the wall and along a wooden beam...probably no longer that about 4 meters? for a ceiling fan.....this isnt the aircon mentioned in another post....seperate question....thanks
I assume you are spuring off the ring to a fused spur unit and then to the fan?

yeah...one of those you wire into with a switch and 13 amp fuse fitted.... using all english gear...

Given the likely rating of the ceiling fan, you should replace the 13A fuse with a 3A. The cable between the fuse and the fan can be reduced to 1mm².

Reactions: MDJ
yeah...one of those you wire into with a switch and 13 amp fuse fitted.... using all english gear...
no problem then, as mentioned by handysparks the fuse should be changed to a 3 amp, the cable to the fan from the spur need not be too big either which may be better for connections to the fan, assuming you have done the job did you spur off the ring?

Reply to spur cable length in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

hi....im running cable for a split type 1.5 hp aircon....i have a roll of english 2.5 twin & earth, is this ok for the job? im running it to the...
Replies
Views
Grateful if someone could offer some advise, I'm struggling to find a definitive answer to this. I have a double socket, it was on the ring main...
Replies
Views
Hi, if getting back to the CU is not an option, instead of spurring off a socket via a Sfs putting the rating down to 13a. Could you spur off the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, newbie posting! Does the following sound ok... Existing circuit: SOCKET on a ring -> spur to SWITCHED 3A FCU -> SWITCH -> hardwired FAN...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm planning to remove a stud wall seperating my dining room and kitchen. On the dining room side of the stud wall, there is a double...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock