Discuss Static Type Shock Kitchen Water in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Relaxed

DIY
Reaction score
Good Afternoon All,

I moved into a flat around 2 months ago.

A few times only (maybe four times in the two months) I've turned on the kitchen tap, and when I've touched the water I've had a mild static type shock.

I didn't pay much attention to it before, but today when it happened I thought maybe I should get advise.

It doesn't happen when touching the metal tap or sink, just the water. Should I speak to the landlord?

He's away on a cruise for 2 weeks, and said he will be contactable in absolute emergency. I'm trying not to contact him unless absolutely necessary (and although he seems like a reasonable person, I've already had boiler issues in my two months here which he is getting repaired / replaced, and don't want him thinking this guy is back with another issue again).

Good Afternoon All,

I moved into a flat around 2 months ago.

A few times only (maybe four times in the two months) I've turned on the kitchen tap, and when I've touched the water I've had a mild static type shock.

I didn't pay much attention to it before, but today when it happened I thought maybe I should get advise.

It doesn't happen when touching the metal tap or sink, just the water. Should I speak to the landlord?

He's away on a cruise for 2 weeks, and said he will be contactable in absolute emergency. I'm trying not to contact him unless absolutely necessary (and although he seems like a reasonable person, I've already had boiler issues in my two months here which he is getting repaired / replaced, and don't want him thinking this guy is back with another issue again).

If you know what static electricity is, you understand, or need to understand that it's a naturally occurring phenomenon. It presents itself usually in winter or during very dry seasons, often indoors when humidity is very low. It is not indicative of an electrical fault or defect in the structure. Best defense in a dry home is carry a key or piece of metal and touch any metal surface (fridge, faucet, doorknob) with the metal first, so any static spark will dissipate through your fingers over a much larger surface area and you won't feel it.

Thanks, that's reassuring to know. Although for the first time today, I also got a very slight one from the tap, when I came home and turned the tap on.

I'm wondering why it's only been happening from the tap / water and not when touching other items around the house? The door handles when I entered were metal, but didn't feel anything there. I'm hoping it's nothing to worry about, like you suggest, but just trying to alleviate my concerns

Thanks, that's reassuring to know. Although for the first time today, I also got a very slight one from the tap, when I came home and turned the tap on.

I'm wondering why it's only been happening from the tap / water and not when touching other items around the house? The door handles when I entered were metal, but didn't feel anything there. I'm hoping it's nothing to worry about, like you suggest, but just trying to alleviate my concerns
You won't pickup a static charge outside the house that your movement outdoors is picking up electrons looking to discharge inside the house. Your taps, metal drain pipes and sink water have a much better route to ground, as well as other grounded metal like radiators and metal electrical device cover plates, they're more prone to help discharge a static charge than a doorknob mounted to a wood door.

What does the shock feel like ? A static shock is short and sharp bit like a pin -----, a mains shock is like a buzzing a bit like when phone vibrates

I would be inclined to get the earthing and bonding checked, you cant be sure this is simply static.

I did get an electrician out eventually. At first he looked under the sink and said you need bonding, but then he checked the boiler room / electricity unit and said everything is fully earthed there, and that is all connected to the kitchen, so you don't need anything doing and it's all good.

I did get an electrician out eventually. At first he looked under the sink and said you need bonding, but then he checked the boiler room / electricity unit and said everything is fully earthed there, and that is all connected to the kitchen, so you don't need anything doing and it's all good.

You can learn more about static electricity.

The sink is probably not an extraneous conductive part and probably does not require bonding to the met ,your electrician should have done an ir test on this to the met,
he also should have checked ZE to determine the quality of the the main earth.
do you have (RCD) Residual Current Device in your consumer unit?

Reply to Static Type Shock Kitchen Water in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net