Currently reading:
Strange RCD Fault

Discuss Strange RCD Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest569

80amp main switch RCD, occasionally trips when a couple of circuits are switched on (doesn't matter which circuits) with nothing plugged in.

IR tests all good. Replaced RCD for new. Happens in all weather ( don't think its external )

Only sockets on this consumer unit.

Ive had my guys out at it twice with no joy. New build wiring from 16th edition.

Im going to investigate myself this week, Im sure Ive had loose connections causing tripping before, it about all I can think of, a loose tail somewhere around the main switch.

Anything else to look out for ?

Im pretty certain its not a dodgy nail at floorboard etc its fairly new property and in good condition with chipboard throughout.

jrc, you said in an earlier post that it appeared circuit legs of rfc and immersion has got mixed up. if that's the case, then doing end/end continuity and sorting it out may go a long way to finding the fault.
Ye

Yeah Hopefully , The spare 2.5 is just dangling LIVE (found out the hard way). The immerser breaker on the other board with one cable coming from it isolates it !

Organising the circuits and RCBOs to solve accumulative leakage hopefully solve it !

I had a similar one a while back - very occasional tripping of a 16th Ed board with an upfront RCD. After 3 visits and absolutely no pattern to the tripping, I changed the RCD.

What I noticed was that the ramp test showed very different results on different days.

This was about 2 years ago and I've done other work in the house since and the RCD trip was completely eliminated. The RCD in question was a 100 mA

I had a similar one a while back - very occasional tripping of a 16th Ed board with an upfront RCD. After 3 visits and absolutely no pattern to the tripping, I changed the RCD.

What I noticed was that the ramp test showed very different results on different days.

This was about 2 years ago and I've done other work in the house since and the RCD trip was completely eliminated. The RCD in question was a 100 mA

Have installed a new RCD already but still same problem....

Im convinced there is multiple problems which is making things difficult .

what were the end to end continuity readings ???

>2000Mohms!

It should be a ring but definitely not. I think one side is fed from elsewhere but hard to say with no access to trace out cables...Ill check again on monday incase Ive grabbed the wrong cable but I could get no continuity readings on the ring yet it was belling out! Confused.

I think you have to get the circuit make up absolutely sure and precise
That is before even thinking about searching for the RCD tripping cause

I know you say you have tried and tested most of what you expect to be the cause,but personally I suspect you are getting bogged down sorting 2 different problems with one mind set

This is not meant to be criticism of your testing or yourself (because that would need to be observed rather than guessing procedures and outcomes on a forum)
It's meant more as a pointer, hopefully,that may make the road clearer for you
It seems to be a pain in the neck problem,but there is a reason and logic and testing and investigating using that logic will reveal all

new build? no ring continuity?
look for a socket thats been missed out
should be able to tell from a quick loop check at the sockets where its between......
call it £350

Good shout but ends are belling out using bell set , If it were properly wired ring with a socket missed ( potentially lying live somewhere) I would expect it to bell , which suggests there is a big mix up somewhere !

I think you have to get the circuit make up absolutely sure and precise
That is before even thinking about searching for the RCD tripping cause

I know you say you have tried and tested most of what you expect to be the cause,but personally I suspect you are getting bogged down sorting 2 different problems with one mind set

This is not meant to be criticism of your testing or yourself (because that would need to be observed rather than guessing procedures and outcomes on a forum)
It's meant more as a pointer, hopefully,that may make the road clearer for you
It seems to be a pain in the neck problem,but there is a reason and logic and testing and investigating using that logic will reveal all

Totally, There is 2 problems Im sure. Ill get circuits organised as best I can on Monday.

Sorry only browsed over the thread so apologies if this has been asked already, but you say you have narrowed it down to a RFC. Have you removed every socket and proved each leg between the sockets? Then carried a IR on each individual leg?

Sorry only browsed over the thread so apologies if this has been asked already, but you say you have narrowed it down to a RFC. Have you removed every socket and proved each leg between the sockets? Then carried a IR on each individual leg?

Yes and all fine. I wish it was that easy and one leg was down.

IR is fine and it bells out ok but Im convinced something is spurred off the ring then back onto it or onto another circuit somehow, Frankly I think someone has made a complete arse of wiring the ring !

Reply to Strange RCD Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock