Discuss Strange RCD Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I carried out after periodic repairs for a nursing home group several years back.
The buildings were traditional and about 10 years old.
The periodics I was following were the first since build.
There were many faults on rings, mostly end to end continuity balance but one particular home was the worst. In the office block there were continuity issues L,E,N, on 2 rings. One was a corridor socket which had the cables tucked in and plastered over and I found it by crawling through the attic tracing the ring and looking where the drops were. The other was the same but on the ground floor, behind a radiator. I found this one because it had a back to back partner.

So much for initial testing.

Boydy

Just something to consider if it's a split board have you checked the neutrals all correspond with the correct neutral terminal. Or maybe two circuits on separate rcd's are sharing the same neutral away from the fuse board i.e junction box

By now you should now we don't have Part P.

Its around 10 years old I think, Builder built it himself....you get the picture..Not sure if there ever were certs but we don't have em now

So this is probably who wired it too. Time for a 100% EICR to see what's going on @ £30 per circuit - otherwise you're pxssing in the wind

I found a floating live T+E in a house last year, just cut off with uninsulated end....by accident. It was one leg of a ring. The other leg was in the 32 amp cb with a spare cable. Whoever did it had mixed his cables up with the unused leg, going nowhere, live......3 live cables, one ring, one return (unconnected) and one to god knows where. Had some strange results, obviously, but at least they were all in the same cu. If a leg is mixed up with another cu, then......

Simple fault....lol. Plenty would be scratching there head at this one.

Just to clarify...I had a spark and a labourer at the job for 3 hours. I popped in for 1 hour with no test gear to check the obvious....I go back friday and armed with the correct gear I WILL find it..

This is all assuming my guys have done the procedures as they should have ....kinda hoping they have not

The customer has complete trust in me, so please concentrate on your own customer relations !
you keep quoting `customer relations`...

you dont fly a desk by any chance?

Just to stick my 10pence worth in, have you checked the actual socket fronts for faults, as you said all ok until you connected last socket.
for dead test purposes only, remove the socket fronts of the offending circuit Try connecting cables together with connectors and do your tests before putting socket fronts back on.
It could be something as simple as a faulty fitting.

Sounds like the house holder may have to re-mortgage to get this ring main fault sorted out, Wet leaf my ---
well he might need a fig leaf to hide behind when it comes to `customer relations`...lol..

to the OP:

forget about wet leaves...how about an olive branch...held out to this most patient of customers for all the arsin about that has gone on (including looking like an amature outfit by sending `the boys` round who clearly dont know one end of a tester from another)...this could take the form of not charging for all the time you have spent trampling about in their home...disrupting their lives...

caus the only way you can pacify people is with money mate....thats the way the world works i`m afraid..

try it...it would be good `customer relations`...

Back Monday again I believe Glenn LMFAO,
JRC has offered a grand to anyone going up there to sort it out because the fault is unique and and not the type we could sort out easily
well..he`ll probably have to verify it first with his PR team...

who will then be able to offer the choice to the client:

as in `its the spark or the RCBOs love...you cant have both...so you can take the money..or open the box`

from PR expert to banker in 30 secs...

His guys did IR tests at 250 volts not 500 or 1000, so he decided to talk the customer into having a load of RCBOs fitted, he went himself to sort it out but forgot to take his test kit, so thats where he is now, back Monday lol, apparently a wet leaf brushed against an external joint which may be the culprit haha

Not having a dig here JRC but what was the logic behind you going there with no test gear?
Utterly pointless I'd say, it would be like turning up at a supermarket for the shopping with no cash/plastic

There was an offer of £350 made, he never took that up so don't start working out what you'll spend the grand on yet Trev lol.
In the words of that fine Irish band Therapy?
Screw that, forget about that, I don't wanna hear about anything like that.
I'm offering a guaranteed fault find but its going to cost. I'm quite happy to say I WILL find this fault.

Reply to Strange RCD Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net