Discuss Strange RCD Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

16 pages of advice .......lI sure our man will sort it out on Monday
my advice would be buy a meter that ramp tests and also a earth leakage clamp meter
best of British!

Just to stick my 10pence worth in, have you checked the actual socket fronts for faults, as you said all ok until you connected last socket.
for dead test purposes only, remove the socket fronts of the offending circuit Try connecting cables together with connectors and do your tests before putting socket fronts back on.
It could be something as simple as a faulty fitting.

It crossed my mind and I tested one suspect socket but all was good.

I guess I should add, amidst trying to solve this mystery fault Im also trying to deal with the daily running of my business.

Taking around 20 calls per day, replying to around 30 texts, responding to around 15 emails, Keeping employees in check and constantly thinking other jobs through makes it hard to devote my full attention to the fault for any length of time. Im quite confident, but its quite possible Ive missed something silly during testing....so double checks this week.

Not to mention, Im visiting 2/3 customers after hours to quote, followed by a few hours paperwork before bed.

Im sure there are plenty posters in this thread with successful businesses but Im also quite positive there are many whom will not appreciate how it is to manage a business , nor never will.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like the house holder may have to re-mortgage to get this ring main fault sorted out, Wet leaf my ---

Not helping...

Just something to consider if it's a split board have you checked the neutrals all correspond with the correct neutral terminal. Or maybe two circuits on separate rcd's are sharing the same neutral away from the fuse board i.e junction box

Not that simple mate, that was common fault during council rewires , Id have found that in 10 mins.....plus not split board as per my earlier posts.

- - - Updated - - -

well he might need a fig leaf to hide behind when it comes to `customer relations`...lol..

to the OP:

forget about wet leaves...how about an olive branch...held out to this most patient of customers for all the arsin about that has gone on (including looking like an amature outfit by sending `the boys` round who clearly dont know one end of a tester from another)...this could take the form of not charging for all the time you have spent trampling about in their home...disrupting their lives...

caus the only way you can pacify people is with money mate....thats the way the world works i`m afraid..

try it...it would be good `customer relations`...

Not helping....

Not having a dig here JRC but what was the logic behind you going there with no test gear?
Utterly pointless I'd say, it would be like turning up at a supermarket for the shopping with no cash/plastic

FFS, Read my posts....

Heading home from another job one evening I was PASSING so I popped into see the customer for a quick check for obvious, i.e. loose cables etc. I thought I had the test gear in van but didn't so was limited to basic checks, martindale etc.

I don't see the issue with this? Yes my guys should have already checked all the obvious, but if you run your own business you may know that you are often double checking peoples work.

Read the posts ffs before clogging up the thread with drivel.

In the words of that fine Irish band Therapy?
Screw that, forget about that, I don't wanna hear about anything like that.
I'm offering a guaranteed fault find but its going to cost. I'm quite happy to say I WILL find this fault.

Excellent, 1k is on the table pal....

I can't believe how people are confident in finding this without even seeing the installation! Either very naive or incredibly fast while incredibly superhuman.

Ill stand by this, I could really be doing without this hassle Ive inherited as I have a ton of work kicking off. If any spark wants to solve this ( in one day ) and can provide an invoice. Ill pay 1k...

Takers ?

Was there only 2 cables at each socket?
As a rough n ready guide, if you have a clamp meter, put a load on each socket in turn. IE a fan heater or one of the lads with a 230v drill running and clamp each leg of the ring (ring?) as it leaves the mcb to see what is being drawn from where. Switch mcb off and on to signal a move to the next socket.
Then disconnect and make safe at the socket you reckoned was the last one, that dropped the IR.
Run load test again.

Boydy

Yeah 2 at each socket Boydy...Im just going to check for end to end continuity again monday to be sure about this ring....

Co-incidently Ive had a few quieter days to look at this but rewires are kicking off again over next week so becoming real hassle !

RCBOs will defo be better I think but may suggest first to customer about only fitting one on the culprit circuit.

Id be happy to walk at that but Ive still inherited this problem with the mixed up legs etc , which Im really going to need to sort !

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah 2 at each socket Boydy...Im just going to check for end to end continuity again monday to be sure about this ring....

You mean you have visited 4 times and still not a r1&r2 test? Or any other continuity tests, these are basic tests that should be done. For someone who claims to do a fair bit of fault finding you don't know a great deal about it do you?

You mean you have visited 4 times and still not a r1&r2 test? Or any other continuity tests, these are basic tests that should be done. For someone who claims to do a fair bit of fault finding you don't know a great deal about it do you?

zzzzz ....Read the posts......No continuity on first tests.

And for clarity, my guys were at the job for around 6 hours on first visit, I popped in for an hour on another visit and I spent around 6 hours amongst running the business on another visit.

3 visits.....for someone with eyes, you don't read well do you ?

You have said you haven't carried out continuity tests, you are going to do them on Monday.

does the customer know they have got a chancer trying to find this fault? Because you are just extracting the urine from them.

You have said you haven't carried out continuity tests, you are going to do them on Monday.

does the customer know they have got a chancer trying to find this fault? Because you are just extracting the urine from them.

Not reading posts....

Continuity done at first test but nothing...For your information,Im not charging by the hour for this job.

I am reading posts, you have said in what I quoted earlier you are going to check end yo end continuity on Monday.

charging for the job or not this is getting silly now, Benny Hill springs to mind with this job.

I am reading posts, you have said in what I quoted earlier you are going to check end yo end continuity on Monday.

charging for the job or not this is getting silly now, Benny Hill springs to mind with this job.

Im going to DOUBLE check as there are know issues with mixed legs. Earlier posts stated I had already checked.

1k?

1k?

you must be loaded if you can afford that and not be charging the customer?

show me the money and I will be there once I have my van back on the road.

Thats the point pal, Im pretty confident that 1k will stay firmly in my pocket....and yes I am loaded :p

I am also a man of my word, I will pay that primarily as I don't have the time for it now and secondly because I know the CAUSE of this fault won't be found in a day.

Anyway, I have 8 quotes to do today, 2 vans and a car to wash, a nasty cold AND a hangover,this thread is distracting me. If anyone has anything constructive then please post :)

constructive....... sort out the mixed up legs for starters. this may well lead to solving the tripping problem.

Tell you what JRC, I'll go up for a grand and bottom this out for you. I want half the cash up front though

I can't believe how people are confident in finding this without even seeing the installation! Either very naive or incredibly fast while incredibly superhuman.

Ill stand by this, I could really be doing without this hassle Ive inherited as I have a ton of work kicking off. If any spark wants to solve this ( in one day ) and can provide an invoice. Ill pay 1k...

Takers ?

GO TREV GO TREV GO TREV wish I had some pom pom's to wave arround

Thats the point pal, Im pretty confident that 1k will stay firmly in my pocket....and yes I am loaded :p

I am also a man of my word, I will pay that primarily as I don't have the time for it now and secondly because I know the CAUSE of this fault won't be found in a day.

Anyway, I have 8 quotes to do today, 2 vans and a car to wash, a nasty cold AND a hangover,this thread is distracting me. If anyone has anything constructive then please post :)

Is that all??

That's just half a day's work to a Geordie.

You're just a lightweight lad!!

Trev could crack that off before his Elevenses tea break.

(don't forget to add the cost of TESTING to your 8 quotes.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Takers ?

The confidence comes from experience which in turn comes from maturity which in turn comes from age, so maybe when you grow out of being a cocky little twonk you'll be half as good as some of these lads. :)

(helpful enough for you??)

Reply to Strange RCD Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net