Search the forum,

Discuss t@e in conduit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Why would you earth the metal conduit SS, if there is T+E inside it?

having said it I can see your point with T+E malc, we have done a few jobs for a county council who insist on all drops in or on walls even for t+E to be in galv conduit, tray/basket is fine above suspended ceilings. they also insisted on all conduit carrying LV cables to be earthed. I suppose I've picked up the practise from there, be it ne4cessary or not!

Thanks SS and we are right that piece of metal would never be classed as an Exposed conductive part, if it's carrying T + E. as a piece of metal/containment can only be an exposed conductive part when Basic insulation breaks down, which T+E isn't

I do hate these cretins who insist on making you "Earth" something because it is belt and braces. It isn't in fact by earthing a piece of metal that you don't need to, you make that piece of metal part of the installation, in this case part of the CPC system, and on a fault situation you can make that metal live.

Ok it would be for fractions of a second and highly unlikely to cause a problem, but I could never fathom how making a piece of metal become live in some circumstances, to it never being live under any circumstances is safer

To be fair to the county council, their spec is pretty good by todays lacklustre standards, its just one of those little things that the clerk of the works liked to be picky on! Most of the time these drops terminated at a flush box though so would be earthed anyway.
I have seen the 'extreme' end of this though where Galv was used for fire alarm drops in FP200 - the fire alarm contractor went to the lengths of 'cross bonding' the conduits to LV ones above suspended ceilings!

Reply to t@e in conduit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back