Discuss The new-ish ProjectEV Apex range in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm fitting one of the Apex 7S units on Friday.
I'd avoided the original range after a couple of bad experiences but I figured a new model might be better.
I thought I'd list some differences I've noticed so far when compared to the original range:

1 - Even though the connections looks the same, the two connections that were for a CT clamp are now for rs485 A and B. You can't just connect a CT clamp directly to it. You need to install the modbus meter (supplied), power that, connect the supplied CT clamp to that, and then run Belden / other RS485 capable wiring to the charge point. Quite a faff.

1707864785652.png

2 - There's no longer a real RCD, they have moved to using an RDC-DD.

3 - There doesn't seem to be an installer app (yet?), just an end-user app.

4 - Actually connecting to it via Bluetooth was easy, and getting it to join wifi was easy. Compared to the original, this is heaps better.

5 - I'm awaiting confirmation from support about how to configure a grid limit, hoping this is even possible. It could conceivably be the "Upper Limit" setting in the app:

1707865094794.png

There is no way in the app to see the CT clamp readings or be assured that it is doing anything useful.
The app only moans about lack of communication with modbus meter if Load Balancing is turned on.
This could lead one to think that the "My Power Station settings" can configure a grid limit. It rather fails the "Don't me think test".
1707865156020.png

6 - Unless I'm missing something, the customer can access and change every setting. I find this worrying.

7 - It's so new to market that there is no helpful material online yet. Even the supplied printed manual isn't available on the website yet.

8 - It's default charging mode is RFID card (two cards supplied)

Overall, If max demand isn't an issue it looks to be a very simple install. For anything requiring a grid limit the jury is out.

Interesting and helpful summary.
Just to clarify this point -
2 - There's no longer a real RCD, they have moved to using an RDC-DD.
The installer would have to ensure in this case that a type A RCD is installed upstream of the charge point, as an RDC-DD does not provide additional protection at 30mA.

The installer would have to ensure in this case that a type A RCD is installed upstream of the charge point, as an RDC-DD does not provide additional protection at 30mA.
Indeed, this was a detail that I didn't expect and I was quite disappointed!
It's actually made this one a bit annoying.
My original plan was MCB, SWA through internal wall cavity, joint to EV ultra in loft (it's a bungalow) as I didn't want to run the EV ultra within a wall without RCD protection.
At the time I planned that I didn't anticipate fitting a DIN rail modbus meter in the CU and the CT clamp inside the CU. This in turn means the 485 lines need to be rated for the 'highest voltage present'

Now it's going to be an RCBO I could have used EV ultra all the way to the CU solving the 2nd point, except I didn't order quite enough of it!

At least support respond to emails.
So it seems I turn on load balancing and put 58 amps in the box.
(I'm now wondering how many fan heaters to take with me to test it!)

I wonder why the modbus meter rather than just a CT clamp as you'd usually find. Any idea why?
Complete guess, but it's probably cheaper to let a separate meter read a CT clamp and send the data to the charger's microcontroller using rs485 serial traffic than it is to embed hardware to read a CT clamp.

Reply to The new-ish ProjectEV Apex range in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net