Discuss Two tellys with black screens in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Telly seemed to be on the fritz and then we couldn’t get it to load up a screen at all, power on etc, light flashes when using the remote but no picture. Pretty old telly so figured it was time for a replacement.

New telly arrived Thursday, working fine, tried to turn it on this afternoon and same problem! Shine a torch on it and low and behold can see the picture dimly so the backlight has gone.

Now you’ll see my mistake here was thinking the telly was a goner, I think the problem must lie with the socket? But what’s next…? replacement telly is coming Monday but won’t be plugging it in the same place, but a bit concerned to plug it in anywhere in the house? Weirdly our smaller telly (32in) seemed fine in the same place in the interim period between the the old (65in) and the new (65in) coming in 🤷‍♀️

Can I test the socket? Will it actually tell me what’s wrong rather than approaching a local electrician and being a damsel in distress? I’d really rather avoid that if I can?

TL;DR
Two tellys (one old one new) gone kaput in same socket, co incidence or something wrong with the socket?
No fault with a socket can cause what you describe. It can only be an unfortunate coincidence.
A socket with a poor connection could conceivably damage your TV, but this would be obvious before it failed, with the screen flashing and interference on the sound, resulting in the power supply failing completely, not just the back light.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Two tellys with black screens in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net