Search the forum,

Discuss Two way lighting circuit gone wrong in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shouldn't be able to see the copper on those neutrals. That's normal wiring for loop in/out light circuit. Did you also alter the wiring at the switches?

Vortigern, I know what you are saying about the copper showing but the two neutrals are connected in the block. Will tidy those up. Can't show you the back of the switch as I'm back home now but can do tomorrow (if the house doesn't burn down). By two way I mean one switch controls one light and the other switch the other light but, to my mind anyway, the two switches should not have their wiring crossed at all. A big worry is that my friend says he changed the switch from dimmer to rocker swich to try to solve the blowing light problem. He may have wired it wrongly I guess.

Sorry I was being flippant, might be time to call a spark tomorrow but for now the downstairs lighting circuit is off. Thanks for your help anyway.

Thanks for that Leesparkykent - I totally understand you skilled guys telling me to step away from the wiring. Was just trying to help out a friend with no money to get a spark in. Big mistake.

Thanks for that Leesparkykent - I totally understand you skilled guys telling me to step away from the wiring. Was just trying to help out a friend with no money to get a spark in. Big mistake.
What would you have done if you could smell gas? Back to Muddy Waters again...

Careful don't do anything dramatic..... And can I just ask, this guys a MEMBER??? Why is he a member?

If your refering to the term EF Member under the avatar then that applies to anyone registered in the forum and is just the general basic status, staff need to assign other titles and unless we are made aware as we cannot follow every post in every thread then we sometimes rely on our regulars to report and suggest the member be better with other assigned status like DIY.

Has his introduction to the forum in his other thread clearly states he is an Electrical enthusiast with no formal qualifications then we will update his status.
Please help us if you see similar situe's by letting us know with the report button as oppose to making a brash response in the thread which helps no-one.

If your refering to the term EF Member under the avatar then that applies to anyone registered in the forum and is just the general basic status, staff need to assign other titles and unless we are made aware as we cannot follow every post in every thread then we sometimes rely on our regulars to report and suggest the member be better with other assigned status like DIY.

Has his introduction to the forum in his other thread clearly states he is an Electrical enthusiast with no formal qualifications then we will update his status.
Please help us if you see similar situe's by letting us know with the report button as oppose to making a brash response in the thread which helps no-one.
Bring back DS thats what I say, think about it.

Well that is a good point. This is what people do when they do not have the money to afford a tradesman, have a go. Its just unfortunate to be in such a position. Maybe post a piccy tomorrow. But please make sure the electrics is defo off! The legal position is very fraught for you if something goes wrong. Its a lesson to us all, stick to what you know and have been trained for.

If you only altered the wiring in that ceiling rose then yes you have interrupted the normal L/N feed that loops from one fitting to the next. All the lights normally have live and neutral and earth fed to them from the consumer unit. Most ceiling fitting have a bus bar at one end connected to the neutral of the light flex this bus bar has the incoming Neutral and outgoing neutral (unless its the last light in the chain)
The bus bar on the other end connects to the live light flex via the switched live feed.
The center bus bar has the incoming live and outgoing live (unless its the last light in the chain) and then it also has the live feed to the switch. The complication is the cable used to go the switch is normally a twin and earth so has a live neutral and earth wire and it actually switches live so we have to indicate that the neutral is actually carrying live and we do that by putting a sleeve on each end to match the live colour.
But often that sleeve isn't present so its easy to get wires mixed up.
What's needed is to identify the incoming feed the outgoing feed and the switch wire.
Easy if you know what's what but dangerous if you don't.
Its not a big job for an electrician and I'd advise you get some help to be sure its correct and safe.

Reply to Two way lighting circuit gone wrong in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock