Discuss Understanding Static Caravan's. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

markc123

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Definitions:
1) Caravan - A trailer leisure accommodation vehicle, used for touring, designed to meet the requirements for the construction and use of road vehicles. This is caravan that is towed by your car, and seperates as a seperate unit once on pitch - Section 721 of the special locations applies.
2) Leisure Accommodation Vehicle - Unit of living accommodation for temporary or seasonal occupation which may meet requirements for construction and use of road vehicles. This is somewhat of the grey area - to my understanding this defintion is pointless as it seems to be a mixture of Caravan/Motor Caravan and Mobile Home - Although STATIC CARAVAN/Mobile Home manufactures do class themselves as 'Mobile Home Leisure Accommodation Vehicles'
3) Motor Caravan - Self propelled leisure accomodation vehicle, used for touring, that meets the requirements for construction and use of road vehicles. This is a caravan that is incoprated into the vehicle - an example of this is a Winnebago. Section 721 of the special locations applies.
4) Mobile Home - A transportable leiscure accommodation vehicle which includes means for mobility but does not meet the requirements for construction and use of road vehicles. This is what most people refer to as a STATIC CARAVAN - and is the cause of confusion. These come under the general regulations of BS7671 and NOT a special location - explained below.

Special Location References from BS7671.
- Section 708. This section covers the actual caravan/holiday park itself and has nothing to do with any of the above definitions. Section 708 covers the underground cables, the distrubition box's that feed the caravan pitches and any street lighting. This Unit does not cover brick structures such as offices, laundrettes, complexes ect... that could be on site.

- Section 717. This section covers mobile and transportable units and again has nothing to do with the definitions above. These units covered in this section are not habital. Portakabins and the like are what is covered by this section.

- Section 721. This section coveres tourers I.E. Defintion 1 and 3 - Caravans and Motor Caravans. Regulation 721.1 states that 'they do not apply to the electrical installations of mobile homes...' (See definitions above.) Note 1 : For mobile homes and residential park homes the general requirements apply.'

To clarify,

1) Caravan parks / holiday vilages / camp sites / touring sites are all classed as special locations and should adhere to regulations in section 708 of the special locations.

2) Static Caravans are Mobile Homes and do not come under any special location, they should comply with BS7671 as a hole. (ref: 721.1)

3) Tourers - Caravans and/or Motor Caravans are all classed as special locations and should adhere to regulations in section 721 of the special locations.

4) Section 717 coveres uninhabital transporatble units such as shower blocks and toilet blocks.

Hope this helps, come across many - including a lad today that get confused around the whole holiday park / static caravan / caravan situation - i have been working on the parks for a number of years now, and to my knowledge this is the understanding of the regulations. Any input appreciated and welcome.

Reply to Understanding Static Caravan's. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net