Search the forum,

Discuss Unsatisfactory Domestic EICR - Should I rewire or spot fix in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

and half of them don't need fixing. bear in mind that the report compares the installation to current regs. e.g. we can't fit non-metal CU today, but that doesn't mean the existing CU is not fit for continued use.

Get into the house and develop a feel for what you want especially if you are planning and extension. Then get all the rewring done in one go or plan a schedule with your spark so they can jump in when it’s convenient to rip floors up and make big holes. ;)

Electricians will always advice the safest option. So in this case full rewire, but it’s your call. You know what you can afford, and how safe you want your home to be.

As for repair after rewire. I never sugar coat it.
I tell customer there is going to be mess, there is going to be dust, plastering and redecorating will need to be carried out. So you will have to factor in these expenses. In reality I can quite often chase and run cable with minimal disruption and mess so the customer is normally pleasantly surprised when the house isn’t a complete bomb site.

Added to the above. The cost of rewire will be considerably lower if empty and unoccupied. Now is the time to do it.

I tell customer there is going to be mess, there is going to be dust, plastering and redecorating will need to be carried out. So you will have to factor in these expenses. In reality I can quite often chase and run cable with minimal disruption and mess so the customer is normally pleasantly surprised when the house isn’t a complete bomb site.
It's a good motto to work to... 'under promise and over deliver' !

Reply to Unsatisfactory Domestic EICR - Should I rewire or spot fix in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back