Discuss How not to standard is this rewire? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If a full rewire has been done then a Part P 'will' have been submitted to his local authority building control. Suggest you contact them and ask to have an inspector go over, at the same time as contacting whichever Part P scheme the contractor is with and demanding the same. You could also contact trading standards (although they're very overworked) and if push comes to shove you could even flag this up to the health and safety executive - because - whilst it's not commercial, the 'electricians' who did this were working within it at the time it was done.

If a full rewire has been done then a Part P 'will' have been submitted to his local authority building control. Suggest you contact them and ask to have an inspector go over, at the same time as contacting whichever Part P scheme the contractor is with and demanding the same. You could also contact trading standards (although they're very overworked) and if push comes to shove you could even flag this up to the health and safety executive - because - whilst it's not commercial, the 'electricians' who did this were working within it at the time it was done.
Don't forget HMRC who will be interested in them taking cash payments only.

To add

I don't know how 4 electricians can make such a complete lash job of a new re-wire

Is there no pride in domestic work anymore , I see this kind of sh!t work every single week

Because doing it properly means 3 days not 1, so 1/3rd the profit. It's all they care about.
I just don't get it thou , if you price the job properly and explain to the customer why it costs XYZ then there is no need to rush and make a complete sh!t job of it

if they are doing full re-wires for £3K then clearly they are well under costing the job and no wonder they need to lash it in 24hours to make any sort of decent profit margin

Price it as £6k take your time do a good job and everyone is happy , no come backs and no sloppy corners cut

I just don't get it thou , if you price the job properly and explain to the customer why it costs XYZ then there is no need to rush and make a complete sh!t job of it

if they are doing full re-wires for £3K then clearly they are well under costing the job and no wonder they need to lash it in 24hours to make any sort of decent profit margin

Price it as £6k take your time do a good job and everyone is happy , no come backs and no sloppy corners cut
I agree with this. I'd rather take on 50 jobs a year at better money, do a good job, than take on 150 jobs a year, work more, get the same money but bash out jobs quicker. Makes no sense to me.

Higher pricing, better job, less work. No brainer.

I feel bad for the customers who get these new sh!tty re-wires done as I know full well it will all need stripping out are re-doing sooner or later

pay cheap pay twice

If you want a big job like a rewire done next week then you have to accept you are not going to get the best job because the guy's doing a good job are generally booked up for weeks or months in advance also the £3K price should set the alarm bells going

I don't know how these electricians are making any profit on £3K full re-wires , there is just no margin in that price

The last 3 bed re-wire I did pretty basic re-wire just lights and sockets ( no data , no outside power , no car charging point) I think I ended up spending around £1600-1700 just on gear alone maybe a bit more

£3k would leave me about 2 days to do all the work , it just wouldn't happen

I took 7 days and was knackered by the end , 6 to do the re-wire and day 7 to all the testing and paperwork etc

I don't know how these electricians are making any profit on £3K full re-wires , there is just no margin in that price

The last 3 bed re-wire I did pretty basic re-wire just lights and sockets ( no data , no outside power , no car charging point) I think I ended up spending around £1600-1700 just on gear alone maybe a bit more

I took 7 days and was knackered by the end , 6 to do the re-wire and day 7 to all the testing and paperwork etc
Use all the cheapest stuff available, can do materials for a grand.

£2k, pay the other lads £120 a day apiece and keep the rest. Fudge paperwork etc.

This post is evidence of how they make a profit. They throw stuff in, get paid, and disappear before the customer has time to take a proper look around. usually takes me 5-7 days for a rewire depending on size of house.

If you want a big job like a rewire done next week then you have to accept you are not going to get the best job because the guy's doing a good job are generally booked up for weeks or months in advance also the £3K price should set the alarm bells going
I think part of the problem is that many aren't willing to pay a sensible price for this kind of work. It's not helped by loads of people bandying around prices from 20 years ago as a reasonable price for the work. Sometimes quoting these jobs is a complete waste of time due to wholly unrealistic price expectations.

Testing ALWAYS completed after.
Most rewires come from testing gone bad. Not one for taking look at old wiring and jumping immediately to rewiring. Find most of the problems come from someone messing with the original installations.
Been in some 40-50 years old places where the wiring has been left alone and usually tests out pretty well.

There are some who buy a place, see old accessories and board, and decide to rewire before decorating.
Doesn't happen too often but it does happen.
I get that but wouldn't you go in, test to see if it actually needed doing and then advise them appropriately? Thought that'd be standard faire but i've never done domestic rewires so i don't know how this stuff works.

Reply to How not to standard is this rewire? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net