Search the forum,

Discuss What am I qualified to do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guitarmad

Hi All

I'm new to this forum and wondered if you could kindly give me your opinions on my situation. I have been offered a job as a school caretaker and am currently waiting for the local authority checks to be carried out. My remit is to undertake basic plumbing, carpentry and electrical work. Whilst looking around the school, I asked what was expected of me with regard to electrical work, and was told anything I'm not comfortable with I shouldn't do.

A bit of back ground information: In the early 90's I completed my city and guilds 2360 part 1 on a government training program. Shortly after this I started working for a big maintenance company as an improver. I worked with various electricians refitting boiler houses and pump rooms. After completing my part 2 2360, I worked on similar projects on my own. After this I was self employed doing house bashing and some commercial work. In the early 2000's I left the industry and ran my own business doing other things. This year I passed the 17th edition regulations.

So to my questions. What am I qualified to do electrically? I haven't done the part P or the new testing and inspection qualifications. So where should I draw the line in this new job?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I see it there are three options;

1) Changing lamps and starters, and cleaning defuses, (should I include replacing ballasts).

2) Carrying out minor works and completing a minor works certificate. Including additions to circuits, and replacing damaged switches, socket outlets, light fittings, etc.

3) Carrying out electrical installations including installing new circuits and ccu's.

What do you think?

Lamp changing would be about it IMO regarding electrical work, this is due to insurance reasons not ability, anything around kids is a can of worms, you would be better off sticking to lamps and getting a company in to carry out other maintenance works. Now regarding lamp changing I would advise caution on school hall lamps, one you should be trained in scaffold erecting and two should never work at height alone. HTHs.

If you've done the 236 1 and 2 and rewires you should be fine with all your 3 level points IMO.
your better than a lamp changer!
It is all about insurance though, you cannot just go into a school even if employed by them and carry out electrical repair work around children without proper insurance, and most local authorities insist on £5million, to get that carrying out work in schools an insurance company will need to see all qualifications and a history regarding competance, the insurance because it is around children will have to be "all risk" this is important to know, we are not talking about changing a few light switches in a house here, please consider the advice you give on the public boards, it needs to be accurate, and having the 236 1 and 2 alone isn't enough in this special case, I know, I have been working in schools all my career and have been insured and on the local authority list to do such work for years as well, anything regarding work in schools can be a crown of thorns.

It is all about insurance though, you cannot just go into a school even if employed by them and carry out electrical repair work around children without proper insurance, and most local authorities insist on £5million, to get that carrying out work in schools an insurance company will need to see all qualifications and a history regarding competance, the insurance because it is around children will have to be "all risk" this is important to know, we are not talking about changing a few light switches in a house here, please consider the advice you give on the public boards, it needs to be accurate, and having the 236 1 and 2 alone isn't enough in this special case, I know, I have been working in schools all my career and have been insured and on the local authority list to do such work for years as well, anything regarding work in schools can be a crown of thorns.
So you don't think hes qualified to change a socket front then?
I did the 236, so i wonder where i stand working in hazardous areas?

So you don't think hes qualified to change a socket front then?
I did the 236, so i wonder where i stand working in hazardous areas?
Probably not in a school no, in someones house then yes, unless you have worked for the local authority you would not understand the problems associated with maintenance, regarding yourself, if you put up your CV I will be delighted to assist you in any way I can fella.

With amendment 3 in force its no longer sufficient to be competent, you have to be qualified.
If so then what is qualified these days ??
Don't ask me.

With amendment 3 in force its no longer sufficient to be competent, you have to be qualified.
If so then what is qualified these days ??
Don't ask me.

Competent person has changed to skilled person (electrically) and the definition is "Person who possesses, as appropriate to the nature of the electrical work to be undertaken, adequate education, training and practical skills, and who is able to perceive risks and avoid hazards which electricity can create."

Reply to What am I qualified to do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net